Need Help with Reverse Relationship that involves brand new record for Child's table. (Please Delete, Solved)

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered

Trying to Create a Forum format with quickbase.  Parent Table would be Topic and Child Table would be Replies.  

So First I did a summary maximum of the [Record ID#] field so that the Parent knows the Record ID of child's data.

Next I did a reverse relationship where 1 child has many parent where the reference field is that of the Summary Maximum field.  Then I did a lookup from the child up to the parent

Everything works if there's only 1 top and 1 reply.  However, when I created a second reply, it shows up in embedded report, but not in the overall report that shows all topic and replies as the latest reply.  Any help is appreciated.

Edited:  Please delete question, i made a mistake of using Total rather than summary of the record ID.

Photo of Yang

Yang

• 0 Points

Posted 4 years ago

For each additional child record to be floated up to the parent, you will need to repeat the looping reverse relationships.

I suggest that you change the summary maximum to be  Summary minimum instead, i.e. The first Answer.

So lookup that summary maximum down to the child records.

Next duplicate the field which is the summary minimum and name it like minimum child record ID #2.  But set a condition where the record id# is greater than the 1st summary minimum.  I.e. The next smallest child Record ID.

Conveniently, you will see that it also duplicates the reverse relationship for you.    So edit that 2nd reverse relationship to bring down the next Answer up to the Parent Question.

Then just keep repeating for as many loops as you want to support.
Photo of Christine

Christine

• 362 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Is there away to put this into a formula? The Loop would continue through the count of records?  I would like to concatenate all the PO# text fields of all the child records into 1 Summary text field (i.e. PO #1, PO #2, PO #3)
To do an infinite # of PO#'s, you would need an infinite number of looping relationships.  Above some practical limit of say about 10 or so, you would need a script solution.  I can recommend someone to do that work for you if you like.
Photo of Christine

Christine

I think the method described above will work (loop should max at 10) Thank you!
OK, post back if you get stuck.
Photo of Christine

Christine

Thanks! Quick question, to pull the text Purchase Order number, should  I create reverse relationships for each of the Related PO IDs? (Never mind, I did create the reverse relationships)
Yes. You will need 10 reverse relationships.  But it looks like you figured that out.