New Dashboard functionality

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
In my current (old) dashboard I use a text section with html to display a dropdown menu that allows the user to click on menu items (some external, some internal). This works nicley and the dropdown menu items will overlay any sections below it. This provides some good flexibility to organize and add a variety of links on the dashboard.

In trying to replicate this in new home page, it appears you have to set-up a code page, which I have done and it works (i.e., the menu renders OK).

My issue is putting it in the new home page. I used a web page widget and referenced the url that appears when I run the code page. It shows up but the drop down items get covered up by the sections below it (i.e., other widget). In my current (old style) when you click on a menu item all the drop down items appear and will overlay anything below it and therefore there are no scroll bars. The way I have set up the new home page, some of the drop down menu items get truncated and you need to scroll within the widget section to see them. You can make the section bigger, but that makes the use of the real estate look odd and is not efficient.

I have asked QB about this and the response was that is the way the new functionality works.

Does anyone know of a way to relatively easily add a custom menu that I could put at the top of a dashboard page and have it work so that drop down menu items appear without having to scroll (up/down, left/right) and it doesn; take up a bunch of real estate on the page?

Tony A.

Photo of TonyA1

TonyA1

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt)

Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt), Champion

• 30,434 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
>the response was that is the way the new functionality works.

I think what they meant is that is the way the new functionality does not work. Since this needed feature is not implemented naively you have to use script.

To fix your problem it would help if you could send a screen shot.

>
items get covered up by the sections below

You could assign a high z-index to the container of your menu so as to force it to the front - but this might obscure the sections below it. Another approach is to simply use your code to dynamically insert your menu before the dashboard section. To understand the hierarchy of QuickBase's page this FireFox addon is very helpful in generating a nested display of the elements in the page:

View Source Chart FireFox Addon
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/view-source-chart/

A screenshot of View Source Chart in action is attached to give you an idea of what it displays. You will have to hunt around to find the proper dashboard element you want to insert before (the screen shot does not focus on the needed section).

Photo of TonyA1

TonyA1

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Dan...screen shot of old and new menu attached.