Odd error: "The query results can not be retrieved. The result set exceeds the Quickbase API maximum result limit of 50,000 records.", but I don't have 50,000 records?

  • 0
  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered

Hi,

I imported a .csv as a connected table and it seemed to work fine, but when I tried to refresh it I got the following error message:

"The query results can not be retrieved. The result set exceeds the Quickbase API maximum result limit of 50,000 records."

So I opened the source .csv to have a look but found that there are only 11,000 records in it, so I'm not exactly sure why I'm being told that the number of results exceeds the limit.

I have some other .csvs that contain more data (~30,000 records) and those work fine. The only difference I can see with this dataset is that there are a large number of unsupported character entries that look like this: 

¿Â¿Â¿Â¿Â¿Â¿Â¿Â¿Â¿Â¿Â¿Â¿Â¿Â¿Â¿Â¿Â¿Â¿Â¿Â¿Â¿Â¿

The above string is present in the source .csv and being imported into QB via the connected table. The characters are 2 bytes each, so could this be causing QB to think there are more records in the .csv than there actually is?

Photo of Bob

Bob

  • 0 Points

Posted 3 years ago

  • 0
  • 1
Photo of Daniel

Daniel

  • 0 Points
Hi Bob,

Thanks for using our Online Community to reach and inquire about your API import error.

Prior to opening a support case, I would try the following if you haven't already:
1. Create a new spreadsheet and copy the data into that spreadsheet, save it, and use the new spreadsheet for importing.
2. Copy and then paste the data into notepad/wordpad or some type of "pad" software so that no unsupported or undecodable characters are present.  Then copy it from notepad/wordpad and import from the clipboard into QuickBase.

If those don't work, go ahead and open a support case so that we can further assist.

Regards,
Daniel
Photo of Bob

Bob

  • 0 Points
Hi Dan,

Same error after following the above steps unfortunately.

I'll open a case.
Photo of Bob

Bob

  • 0 Points
[Update]

So I deleted the whole dataset and re-synced/uploaded it and it worked (sort of).

For anyone else having this problem, what needs to be done is purge the unsupported character sets from the report prior to upload, then delete the data in the table and re-import/re-sync.

Quickbase has problems with non-ascii characters, so if you have non-ascii characters and are using sync, then you'll likely see refresh errors (strange things like "error on row ###" or "lazy exception handler" etc.

The best way to handle this that I've found is to create a script to strip the non-ascii sets out and pass your .csv through it. Of course, you'll loose much of the data, but assuming there are other fields that contain pertinent information, then this is a viable option. There's quite a bit of resources available to do this on stackoverflow (ex: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2743070/remove-non-ascii-characters-from-a-string-using-python-django ; http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8689795/how-can-i-remove-non-ascii-characters-but-leave-periods-and-spaces-using-python)