I have a report link on a form to a child table containing records related to the parent table. I need for the report that displays after users click on the report link field to open up in grid edit mode. For good reason I can't embed the report on the form and make it editable. Don't want to bore you with the details :)
Any help would be appreciated!
1. Make a report called Child records for a parent which has an <ask the user> for the field [Related Parent]. Set up the report as showing to no Roles so that it does not get broken by accident. Run the report and answer the with anything and observe the URL. It will look like this h t t p s://mycompany.quickbase.com/db/xxxxxx?a=q&qid=23&nv=1&v0=123 (I have put spaces in the h t t p so the link does not get mangled by this forum software.
That link says to run the report with qid= 23 and the number of variables (nv) is 1 and the first variable (v0) is equal to 123
2. edit the URL and suffix it with &dlta=mog. Observe that it now is a grid edit report! I have no idea what that stands for (&dlta=mog) , but when you go into Grid edit the URL always reads that way, so "monkey see monkey do".
3. Now for the magic part - we want to build a URL formula field which will run the <ask the user> report, answer its own question as to who the [Related parent is] and for icing on the cake render in Grid edit.
Here we go
URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_ CHILD_TABLE] &"?a=q&qid=xx&nv=1&v0=" & totext([related parent]) &"&dlta=mog"
Thanks so much for the instructions! I have the formula-URL field in the parent table and it definitely opens a grid edit report in the child table, but the Related Project field isn't preloaded. Did I miss something?
Here's my formula:
URLRoot() & "db/" & "bijjd9xi5" &"?a=q&qid=13&nv=1&v0=" & ToText([Related Project]) &"&dlta=mog"
I have three related tables with the following relationships:
1. Project to many Deliverables
2. Project to many Project Notes
3. Deliverables to many Project Notes
The related field for the third relationship is conditional on the Related Project being the same for the deliverable and project note.
The URL is for a report stemming from the second relationship. I didn't think the other relationships would affect the report since project notes are related to projects and each project note has a value in the Related Project field.
That means that the value in the [Related parent field] is a zero. You need to see what is really in that field. can you also post the actual formula that you are using and not just the result?
So the grid edit report is filtered properly, but the [Related Project] column isn't preloaded. Make sense?
But if you leave the parent record it loses that intelligence - even if you take an embedded report and manually click Grid edit, the Add children loses its knowledge to default to the [Related Parent]. So we may be at a dead end.
Maybe we should circle back and explore "the long story" of why you cannot have the Grid edit report right on the parent in the first place.
If its an issue that the form is too complicated or whatever, why not have a button to redisplay the project record in edit mode on an alternate form which just has that grid editable child table and almost no other fields?