QB New Interface: Hide/Remove "Table Home" report

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Answered
With the new Quickbase interface, is there a way to show a blank screen when clicking on a table icon? Having a report of default columns displayed clutters the interface. As well, my end users do not use ad-hoc queries, rather they use reports exclusively.
I'm aware of how to set whether or not a field is dislayed on a dafult report.
My question is how do I configure my tables to display nothing; I don't want a report with default fields. When one of my users clicks on a table icon, I want them to receive a blank page with the table name and the "Reports & Charts" link in the upper left corner.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 40 Points

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Ellie Ellerman

Ellie Ellerman

• 0 Points
There is currently no way to do this. But in the new design we are working on, you would be able to make Advanced Search the default screen for the table home page, and the reports tray would auto-open.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 40 Points
That's not encouraging. I've actually found that one of my tables does something similar now (search is default and reports tray auto-opens) through no intervention on my part, and that behavior is even worse than the Table Home report. Choosing between one of two methods of clutter is hardly an example of being able to customize my application. For years I've been seeing Intuit employees mention how customiziable Quickbase is. I don't think it means what Intuit thinks it means. If my company was using this for free, I would simply accept the changes and the numerous hours I am going to spend retraining my 100+ users without complaint or criticism. However, we are paying a lot of money for this service and are being treated like Facebooks users; that is: "Here are the changes we're making, you don't have any say in it, get over it."
Photo of Ellie Ellerman

Ellie Ellerman

• 0 Points
Sorry you feel this way.  Other customers said they'd prefer this approach as it makes reports more primary and provides a softer transition because it is more similar to the old behavior of the dropdown menu.  The only thing I can guess is that your specific use case is that users most often need to go straight to adding a record and you want to increase focus on the green button by forcing a blank screen?  Please help me understand the use case better.  Thanks!
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 40 Points
Simply, a blank screen is cleaner with this cluttered new interface. The majority of my users rely soley on reports, not ad-hoc queries (the hideous horizontal scrolling is a separate issue alltogether).
Photo of Cam

Cam

• 32 Points
Or ... it would be good if we could specify what report is used for the Table Home Page.

The table home page is nice (with the auto filters), but it would be much better if we could specify a report that would narrow down the records that it initially shows. For example - in a 'Tasks' table - instead of showing all the tasks that have ever existed, the Tasks table home page should be customizable to show only the 'in progress' tasks which are linked to the 'current user'.

I would even say it should go one step farther and allow us to replace the individual table home pages with custom pages. Then Bryan could write a blank page for his 'table home page', and I could embed a report and some custom buttons....
Photo of JessicaD_QB

JessicaD_QB

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I have to agree with Bryan. My users already loathe the new table home page and it's complete lack of customization. Yes, I can "customize" which fields appear in it, But I cannot: 1. Remove it.  2. Alter it's default setting.  3. Change which report I want to show.

I specifically build reports that I want people to have. I have gone to great lengths in the dozen plus QuickBase Apps I manage to REMOVE List All and List Changes, only to have a Frankenstein's monster version of List All forced on me and my users that I cannot do anything about.
Photo of CG_CustCare

CG_CustCare

• 0 Points
I agree with you, JasonB_QB.  I do not want my users trying to deal with this data in the format presented.  The results they receive will not be accurate to their needs, since there are filters built in to the reports they are currently using.  The filters that come up as options do not make sense, either.  So far, not enjoying the prospect of the new interface when it comes to the users.
Photo of Ellie Ellerman

Ellie Ellerman

• 0 Points
Please look for more customization options with the next release planned for Sunday Dec 9th.  It will allow you to select a specific report to display for everyone instead of the default report, or different reports for different roles.  Or, you can opt to just show Advanced Search underneath an auto-opened reports tray.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 40 Points
Yes, I read the release notes regarding that. It still does not address being allowed to display nothing. What we're being giving is the choice to decide how much clutter that we're going to show our users. I wouldn't be so critical if my company was using Quickbase for free. But as it is, we're paying a lot of money for a product that will, at the point when everyone will be forced to use the new interface, have a negative impact on our productivity and be less of a value.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.