Quick Base Release Notes for February 2019

• Announcement
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • (Edited)
Our February release is packed with new features and enhancements that deliver on our core themes of trust, simplicity, and power.

This month we’re spotlighting:
This release also includes:
Full details on the release can be found in the release notes new home in Quick Base Help:

https://help.quickbase.com/release-notes/february-2019-release-notes.html

The February release of Quick Base, including the features and fixes listed in these release notes, will be available starting Sunday February 24th, 2019 once our release is complete.

Release Features
  • New settings button
  • Expandable My Apps icon view
  • Hide save as a spreadsheet
  • Additional columns for Apps (Beta) page
  • Formula function enhancements
Early Access
These highlighted features and more can be found in further detail in our February release notes. To keep up with upcoming releases and status updates for the Quick Base Platform you can always check our Status page.
Photo of Evan Martinez

Evan Martinez, Community Manager

• 11,738 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
  • Empowered

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Pat R

Pat R

• 146 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is great stuff!

Will the "Type-ahead search picker" be automatically converted for all existing apps or will we be able to control that?  Thanks!
Photo of Harrison Hersch (QB)

Harrison Hersch (QB), Quick Base Sr. Product Manager (Platform)

• 1,478 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
It will be turned on automatically.
Photo of John Ross

John Ross

• 662 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
How do we turn this off??
Photo of Micro Dev

Micro Dev

• 1,454 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
When is this release going live?
Photo of Pat R

Pat R

• 146 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Scheduled maintenance from Quick Base on Sunday February 24, 2019 9:30:00 AM EST Estimated Duration: 1h
Photo of Adam Keever

Adam Keever

• 1,234 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Will there be an option to set the show as images check box to true for all attachment fields in an app or realm rather than having to edit the properties of each individual attachment field?

Hi Adam. This is not something we have planned. I would encourage you to submit this to Uservoice if you would like to see it.
Photo of Chris Sipes

Chris Sipes

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This release is awful!  Stuff that was working is broken and I have to spend time fixing it.
Photo of Samwise the Brave

Samwise the Brave

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Is anyone else experiencing a bunch of different issues with the Type-ahead Search picker?
Photo of John Ross

John Ross

• 662 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This needs to be OPTIONAL, PER FIELD.  Not a forced global setting, this is awful.

@gmcroberts - we did a lot of user studies and had a very long Early Access program where we spoke to participants to learn what was needed most. One big theme was the ability to view more data since a parent record selection is so important. With that feedback, we widened the drop down. We often have to walk the line between giving builders so much control that they get lost and making it flexible enough for people to customize.

@John Ross - we certainly apologize for any inconvenience. If you are having specific issues, please submit a Care case. If you have enhancements you'd like to see to the new drop down, we would love to hear your feedback via Uservoice. Given that in-line, searchable and interactive drop downs are a modern and simplistic design standard, we wouldn't be able to offer the ability to disable this field by field. We are continuing to enhance the platform and make it simple and welcome any suggestions you have on how to make these features even better.

Samwise the Brave

I agree with you, it would be perfect if it was optional because it works really well for us when there's only a couple on the form. But, on forms where we have 4 or more we're seeing some issues. Otherwise, this is a great step in the right direction!

Thanks. We would love more of this feedback. If you would be able to put a small demo together for Uservoice, we definitely want to see where you are experiencing some of the issues. I would also encourage you to keep an eye out for more Early Access programs via our release notes so we can gather this type of feedback and these usecases earlier.

Samwise the Brave

Thanks Harrison, yea I joined the early access on this a couple of months ago. I submitted a support case for you guys earlier today and I'm currently putting a demo together for you guys to recreate what we're seeing.
Photo of Eric Whitley

Eric Whitley

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I love where this is going. You're hitting all of the areas that we've had on our wish list for a while now. Type-ahead search, distinct counts, reporting formulas, string replacement - everything. Super excited to see the new visual builder and really appreciate the focus on field usage reporting. Awesome stuff. Keep up the great work!
Love the attention to detail. These enhancements come from the internal road map, uservoice and even the community forum. This is my favorite release in months. Stuff like 'count distinct' and 'SearchandReplace' went from suggested by a user to in live release in less than 2 months. Seriously impressive.
Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 67,448 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I just got to use two new features for a real client assignment.  The goal was to roll up a "Summary" of all child record images up to a Parent record.

So I had code to make a clickable hyperlink which would display a thumbnail and allow a click to display full size on a new tab.  I did a Combined Text Summary of that ugly field (which no one will see) and then used this Rich Text formula 

SearchAndReplace(ToText([All IP Images (Combined Text Summary format)]),";"," ")

to simply strip out the semi colons.  The Combined Text Summary field was December's gift and the SearchAndReplace was February's gift.

I doubt that the developers thought we would we would the Combined Text Summary field type to "Summarize" Images.

Or... Did we? One of the common requests with the summary field for combine text was custom delimiters. The new formula function seemed like a better way to address that need while also knocking out a bunch more use cases. ;)
Photo of Leanne Snoeck

Leanne Snoeck

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Love the topics in this new release! Still working through use cases and how to implement. I did notice though, hopefully it is not on purpose, but you cannot filter using the new Report Formula fields. Is this just an error or something that can no longer be used? Thanks!
Photo of Evan Martinez

• 11,698 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Leanne,

You should be able to make use of the Report Formula Fields as initial filters when you are building a report, they just aren't available as dynamic filters. If you aren't able to use a Report Formula Field as a filter at all I would suggest putting in a support case to touch base with our Care team. They can take a look at your Report and look into why the Report Formula Fields aren't showing up as an option for filtering. You can contact our Care team when signed into Quick Base by clicking on the question mark icon in the upper right hand corner and selecting Manage Support Cases or directly here
Photo of Leanne Snoeck

Leanne Snoeck

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It is mostly to create dynamic filters - it is a shame that we need to create a useless table field to be able to have a dynamic filter on a report - hopefully that can be a future update. ;) thanks for the response!
Photo of Evan Martinez

• 11,698 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Leanne,

I am sorry to say that currently Report Formulas aren't available as dynamic filters. If being able to use those Report Fields as a dynamic filter would be helpful I would suggest adding that to our User Voice as feedback. 

User Voice is a tool our Product Managers use to take in feedback from our users on future features and enhancements. The Quick Base User voice can most easily be accessed from the My Apps page in Quick Base by clicking on the orange Feedback tab that appears on the right of the page or at http://quickbase.uservoice.com by signing in with your Quick Base credentials. Feedback from users is very helpful as we continue to develop new features for Quick Base and enhance our existing ones.
Can anybody speak to the likelihood/timeframe of adding documentation for the new formula functions?
(Edited)
Photo of Evan Martinez

• 11,718 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hi Alex,

We will definitely be adding documentation in the Formula Reference guide for the new functions, we are hoping to have something up soon but I don't have a concrete date. While you are waiting though is there a specific question you have on the new functions?
Nah. Just a busybody on a Friday. Thanks Evan.
(Edited)
Photo of Evan Martinez

• 11,718 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Happy to be able to provide confirmation, and I know the devs who worked on adding in those functions will be happy to know people are interested. 
Well if there's one thing the world needs more of it's happy developers.