Quick Base Release Notes for May 2018

• Announcement
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • (Edited)
Our May 2018 release is coming up and our Quick Base release notes can be found here:

https://www.quickbase.com/quickbase-blog/may-2018-release-notes

It’s springtime, and we’ve taken a great leap toward simplifying the Quick Base experience for app builders and end users alike. We’re spotlighting features that make it easier for you to:

• Build powerful apps with Quick Base Automations
  • Find the app you need with a new My Apps page
  • Find data for your reports with Report Builder enhancements
Also for admins, the May release features new use cases for audit logs, improved navigation for the Admin Console, and realm-level visibility into user tokens.

Release Features
  • Advanced search form
  • Realm-level visibility into user tokens
  • Improved navigation for the Admin Console
Early Access
  • Kanban reports early access
  • Realm-specific encryption keys
Quick Base University
New May courses:

These highlighted features and more can be found in further detail in our May release notes. Quick Base Automations, the new my Apps page, and a new create an app flow will all be available on Monday, May 21, 2018. The rest of the features and fixes listed in these release notes will be available starting May 20, 2018. To keep up with upcoming releases and status updates for the Quick Base Platform you can always check our Status page. 
    Photo of Evan Martinez

Evan Martinez, Community Manager

• 11,898 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

• 1,926 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
    Hi Evan, We're Curious does an Automation use User Tokens or App Tokens? 

Also in the Creating a chart, calendar, timeline, or other report, shows a filtered list of field types and field names in the builder as you type in any dropdown. Does this show all fields? 

(Edited)
    Photo of Evan Martinez

Hi Jim,

Automations make use of User Tokens in the same way that Actions do. When creating a chart you can use the enhanced builder options for your filtering criteria but it is not yet plugged in for assigning fields to axis and series.
    Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 69,572 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
    Evan. Is there a way to see who owns the Automation in the GA release version. I could not find that in the EA version.
    Photo of Evan Martinez

Hi Mark,

I double checked on this and it isn't currently in the GA version but I checked in with our Automation team and it is an enhancement they are working on. It doesn't have a concrete timeline yet but they know it is going to be a very handy feature to add for visibility. 
    I can't see new icons on the My Apps page.

Thanks,
    Gaurav

Gaurav,

I think that the new feature will show up later today. In future, my understanding is that features which are not tied to the legacy database will be able to be released “on the fly” and hence not tied to the usual Sunday morning release cycle. Quick Base is off loading new functionality to a completely different and newer Archecture.

I suspect that somewhere at Quick Base there are some Engineers having their morning coffee and getting the right “hands on deck” lined up to turn on the new feature.
    Photo of Beth

Beth

• 1,086 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
    Somewhere in the depths of the documentation it says it will be available today (Monday, 21 May).  But it is a bit confusing to have it included as part of the release notes but not part of the release, huh?

Arguably, if they release it at noon, then it will still be Monday. :)

But we will see what happens.  This is the first time they have had a release which has not been all at once on a Sunday morning.

But I have empathy for the issue.  The UI will change for my uses and I want to jump in there first thing in the morning on Monday or during Sunday and be one step ahead to answer questions for my users.
    Photo of Evan Martinez

Mark is correct that after our last UI update this time around the decision was made to use the Release to lay the groundwork for the changes and our usual monthly release for updates and then launch the new My Apps page and the create new app from scratch experience this morning so that our full team would be available for the change over. This way we would be ready to field questions and have everyone on hand for any issues that may come up since the change over does not require us to take down our service like the lion share of our release does. It is set to go into effect this morning and we are really eager to hear what everyoen thinks once it does. 
    Photo of Evan Martinez

Just as an update on this release testing of the My Apps page this morning platform wide did run into some issues. As such we quickly reverted it back to the original My Apps page while our team looks into the issue and identifies what needs to be adjusted. 
    Photo of Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

• 1,926 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
    Thanks for the update. Question Did this rollback affect this one change or the entire release? Curious to know if the other new features are live.
    Photo of Evan Martinez

Hi Jim,

That is a good question right now the only features rolled back are the My Apps page release which was only temporarily enabled this morning when the issues were noticed and the Report Builder enhancement which is also currently disabled while they look into an Escalation. The other components of the release are live and unchanged. 
    Photo of Matthew Neil

Matthew Neil

• 31,698 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
    The advanced report builder has been rolled back as well.  Even for all the Early Access accounts.

There was a pretty nasty bug that was causing the the 'conditions' to revert to 'equals to' everytime to opened the report settings.
    Photo of Evan Martinez

I just wanted to update this thread to confirm that the report builder enhancements went live again yesterday after addressing the issue with the filters reverting when editing the report and we haven't seen any further issues at this time. If using it you do come across any unusual behavior at this point please let us know. For now we are still investigating the issues seen with the new My Apps page and will update when we have a timeframe for making it live again. Thank you so much for the information you were able to provide and your patience while we work on these issues. 
    (Edited)
    Thanks, Evan for updating us. :)
    Photo of Evan Martinez

I just wanted to follow up on this release thread to give an update on our new My Apps Page and the new Create App from Scratch experience. Our PD team spent time debugging the issue that we ran into on Monday and we are going to be rolling out the new My Apps page and the new Create App from Scratch experience to general access tomorrow morning. There is going to be a slight change tomorrow morning that the My Apps page will default to the original experience still tomorrow but there will be a toggle to see the new My Apps page to ease users into the transition.

The new Create New App experience will be the default starting tomorrow morning but there will be an option to toggle back to the original experience.

We have been using the new My Apps page internally for a bit now and it has been fun to see everyones apps gain a little extra color and personality. It is also nice to be able to visually pick out the app I need. We are really excited to hear what users think of the option when they get their hands on it and can start assigning app icons and colors. 
    (Edited)
    Photo of Beth

Beth

• 1,086 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
    Thanks for the update!  All of us who are do categorization and navigation by color are eagerly anticipating tomorrow!
    And in y'all's spare time, here's a really cool next step - make each app's tab the same color as the app's icon, or as the app's header.  For example, my "Historical Marketing" app has a blue header, and my "Marketing Projects" app has an aqua header and "Product Support" has a (really ugly not my choice) tan header.  Wouldn't it be cool if we had the option to make the tabs match the colors of the apps?  Here's an ugly mockup. 

Yes! Especially because if you have many apps open right now, you totally lose the name of the app as the little tabs get to be so tiny that the app name gets truncated into oblivion.

But a color can’t be truncated!