Random bugs error messages since update?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
I've noticed since the most recent update, I keep running into weird bugs that I don't recall happening before:

When navigating between various areas in my application, whether that be tables themselves, various settings windows etc, there will briefly be an error message that pops up. The issue is that it pops up and just as quickly disappears so I can't even read what it says, but it is a quickbase error message of some kind as I can see the Vibrant button. Has anyone else had this issue, or does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can somehow capture this message when it appears? My other problem is I can't seem to nail down any way of duplicating it, it seems to be at random.

When editing a code page, old dashboard page, or rich text page, in many cases after pressing save, the screen goes back to the listing of pages in the app, but there are no pages listed. The content is empty. I have to press refresh to see the listing. I added a screenshot.

When editing the rules for a form, when using a rule that references changing a user field to a specific user, I can choose the "browse choices" option, select a user from the popup, but that user won't populate the field in the form rule.

Anyone else have any of these issues or suggestions?

Photo of Drew

Drew

• 522 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt)

Ⲇanom the ultimate (Dan Diebolt), Champion

• 30,434 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
>When editing a code page, old dashboard page, or rich text page, in many cases after pressing save, the screen goes back to the listing of pages in the app, but there are no pages listed. The content is empty. I have to press refresh to see the listing. I added a screenshot.

This happens to me frequently - maybe as often as 1 in 20 page edits. I notice this because I often have to repeatedly make small edits to a user defined page in one window/tab/screen while observing the effect of my changes in another window/tab/screen.

I have not noticed it elsewhere but I don't think there are many other scenarios where I repeatedly reload the same page. If the problem occurred while navigating through a series of pages I think I would tend to ignore the problem and not investigate. What would help debug the problem is to learn what the URL was when this problem occurred. I would suspect it has something to do with timing and the way events are bubbling up, being delegated and processed.
Photo of Drew

Drew

Dan, the scenario is the same for me.  I'll be tweaking a code page or something over and over and watching the effects in another tab.  That being said, with a number of pages it isn't close to 1 in 20 for me, it's 100% of the time.  Strange.

When it happens for me I am mentally "in the zone" tightly concentrating on if effects of my most recent change in the code page to see if I corrected the problem I am working on and I become a bit paranoid if I somehow lost the contents of the code page. So I often go to a third tab and see if I can open the code page and see if my changes are there. If so, I kill the browser tab that I was formerly editing the code page in and don't investigate the problem further accepting the situation that I did not loose any changes.

I will do some more hunting around the next time it happens but even when there is no problem editing code pages is a fragile process. I often with I could just ftp my changes from local files so I never have a chance to loose the code I am working on.
Photo of Drew

Drew

As far as losing changes, i've also noticed that with the old homepages I have the aforementioned issue with, clicking the "preview" button prior to saving will not launch a preview window, and I will lose any changes made.  The screen refreshes and the contents of all the standard containers (report, rich text etc) will appear blank.

I learned the hard way to ALWAYS have local copy of the user defined pages. So I typically 1) edit local copy, 2) copy paste changes into the user defined page and save, 3) observe effect of change in another window, 4) rinse and repeat. This makes you cycle have two edits and slows you down. Since I work on many different computers during a typical week I keep my local copies of user defined pages on a USB or in Dropbox. It is a pain but the code you are editing is normally relatively short.
Photo of Drew

Drew

New Detail:  I was able to print screen and catch one of the error messages.  The message was "Error There was a problem loading the selected report".  Issue though is that it goes  to the page fine and I don't notice any issues.
Photo of Sybil

Sybil

• 0 Points
Hi Drew --

Please enter a support case for the issues you're seeing -- if there's a bug, others may have encountered it and there may be an answer/workaround that support can give you. Entering a support case is also the best way of ensuring issues get brought to the attention of the folks who can fix them.

Thanks,
--S.