Reference field data from a specific record

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered

Hello all,

I'm wondering if there is a way within a formula field to reference the data within a field on a specific record? Here is the use case, other ideas welcome!

I want a role in my app to be able to indicate text alerts as they come in, by simply updating a single field on a template record.

I then want this information to show up on each record within that same table, so that when users are entering information they are aware of this alert.

Right now, I can only reference the field within the formula not the field data within that specific record. Also, since it is a text field it cannot be put on a lower level table and be pulled up. I would also settle for an alert on the home screen, just needs to be easily entered by a user and not a developer.

Thanks!

Photo of Leanne

Leanne

• 262 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 62,448 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
no problem to have a global message.

Make a new table and create just field in it called glaobal message  and create 1 record in it.  It will be Record ID# 1.

Then change role permissions so no one (even admin) can add any records to this table.

Then on your details table(s) make a formula- numeric field called [Link to Global Message] with a formula of 1.

Then make a relationships to the Global message table based on that field as the reference field on the right side. Then lookup the Global message text down to the child records.  

done!
Photo of Leanne

Leanne

• 262 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Mark! I was thinking of something like this, but was hoping there was something a little less clunky then a whole table for a single field. Oh well, this will totally work:)