Remove field from multiple reports

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
Ok, when I created my application, I set up a formula text field [Service Order # (Automatically Generated)] to automatically generate a service order number.  However, we were notified by our client that they would be issuing the service order number.  So I went and created a text field [HNC Service Order #] for the service order number from our client.  However, I had already created approx. 50 reports using the [Service Order # (Automatically Generated)].  Now that we aren't using this field (but don't want to do away with it), I need to put the [HNC Service Order #] field on all of those reports & remove the other field.  Is there an easy way to do this or do I just have to go manually into each report & fix the fields?
Photo of Amber Polston

Amber Polston

• 582 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of QuickBasePros_IDS

QuickBasePros_IDS, Champion

• 4,208 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
There are different ways to approach this but my recommendation is going to be based on the Usage of the current formula field.  You can either:

1.  Use the new entry field as the data-entry field value and still use the formula to display either/or.  This means you have 2 fields; which is not as clean for your system.

2.  Depending on your Usage of the formula (which probably has a high-usage rate across forms, reports, lookups, email notifications etc.); you may be smarter to temporarily populate the formula values into the new Service Order # field; and then change your formula to a regular entry-field.  Then update your old-formula (now data entry) and populate it with all the values stored in the Service Order # field.  Then you maintain only 1 field for data entry/creation; you do not need to update any looukps etc. unless you are changing from a numeric to text or vice-versa and you keep the table clean with only 1 field value representing the order #.