Retain original embedded information in a child record when the parent information changes

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered

I have a parent table of events. I have a child table that will have multiple communications about the event. I use a formula field to pull information from the parent to embed into the communication. I want to retain that information - exactly as it was sent. If the parent information changes, it is included in new communications but doesn't change the content of previous communications. For example:

Parent records has "Wedding" for type of event and on 10/16/14 - I sent an email notification stating "Dear John, your Wedding is scheduled for 10/17/14."

On 10/18/2014, I change the type of event to "annulment" and on 10/19/14 - I send an email notification stating "Dear John, your annulment is scheduled for 10/20/14."

What's happening today is that my email notification sent on 10/16/14 changes to "annulment" appearing as if we never informed him of his impending wedding but instead two dates for an annulment.

Photo of Anne

Anne

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of QuickBasePros_IDS

QuickBasePros_IDS, Champion

• 4,208 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
You may need to restructure the way you enter your activities/notes about each record; but there are two ways to "keep data".

1) Use Text-Append fields, which essentially allow you to store the history of the values in a field as they change over time. You can use these either as the source entry field; or use Form Rules to populate a Text-Append field each time a record is saved.

2) Another mechanism is Snapshot fields; this is commonly used to capture numeric (cost) values when an item is added to the system to ensure that any lookup cost fields that change do not change the history of the record. This is unlikely to work for your needs.

3) You may find that putting the communications inside a child table will serve you better; since you can then pass down any/all information about the parent into the child for the purpose of notifications etc.; and then retain the history of the communication activity about that parent in a table. I think this might be the best method for your needs.

Feel free to contact me offline (using my profile) to discuss this if you want to explore any of these options further.
Photo of Anne

Anne

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This was very helpful.  It solved my problem.  Thank you very much!