return last entry of an embedded report

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
I have an embedded report on a parent record that has multiple entries that show a client's survey score. A new entry gets inputted almost on a weekly basis.  

I want to take the field [Client Survey Score] from the most recent entry of the embedded report, and create a field on the parent record that shows the score.

I've played around with the table-relationships and summary fields but I still can't get it to work correctly.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks!
Photo of NP

NP

• 10 Points

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 67,448 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
No problem. Here is "Reverse relationships course level 101".

On the relationship make a summary field of the Maximum of the [Record ID#] of the child Survey score. Call it [Record ID# of the Last Survey Score]

Now make a new relationships where 1 Survey score is related to Many Parents. Yes, that sound backwards. On the right side of the relationship use that new field that you just created as the "reference field". Then just "lookup" any fields you need from that "child' up to the parent, ie the actual score and maybe the date or other fields you need..
Photo of NP

NP

• 10 Points
Thanks for the response Mark but I actually tried that method and it worked but there was one big problem. I have a button that creates records and the reverse lookup method broke it last time.

Is that button a Copy master detail button which copies a Parent and all its children?
Photo of NP

NP

• 10 Points
Yup!

Is that child one that does need to be copied?  ie could you re-create that button and not be copying those child records - or that important to the purpose of the copy button.
Photo of NP

NP

• 10 Points
It's that important

Hmmm, then I can't suggest a native solution.
Photo of NP

NP

• 10 Points
Is there a way to create a formula that could look at the embedded report and just return what's in the last column of the top entry?

No.  Formuals just operate within their own record.  

I suppose another crazy idea would be to enter the score on the parent and have a button there to Create the child record in order to preserve the history.  or a button on the child to populate the Score onto the Parent.  Then you would need an exception report where the user did not push the button to update the parent, in case they forget.