Sending Email Notification using an email formula field

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Answered

I have a Email formula field with multiple emails, How can I setup email notification to send to each email in the email formula field  

Photo of Shontay

Shontay

• 490 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 69,674 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There is not a way to directly use that field in a Notification.  There is no magic separator like a space a comma or a semi colon that will work.  I have tested them all.

Presumably, your email formula field is some kind of list function of a few different email fields.  You can just put those individual email fields hand typed into the box in a "Open" Notification (Make sure the type is "Open") and just list them vertically like this - including the [square brackets]

[email 1]

[email 2]

[email 3]
Photo of Shontay

Shontay

Ok, I can't use the "open" notification because the email list change.  Can you create a button to send a record to non QB users?

I'm confused by your comment.  What do you mean "because the email list change".  Those email fields can be calculated or based on lookup fields so they can be different for every record.  

As for sending an open notification, any notification can be triggered based on an edit or create new record action happening on the record.  Are you now asking an unrelated question as to whether its possible to create a button to trigger the email?
Photo of Shontay

Shontay

The email list can be different for every record so I can't set create a standard Open notification list, so I am asking can I accomplish this by creating a button to send the record through outlook. (yes a somewhat unrelated question)

Before I answer your question, are the email addresses in fact on the record, or are you saying that the recipients need to be hand typed by the user into say Outlook.
Photo of Shontay

Shontay

yes, the email is on the record in a user list field, the user type in the email address per record, and there can be multiple emails in the user list field

If you have a userlist field, then these are users.  Hence you can have an email Notification of type Recipient and then have the email go to "the users in the field [my userlist field] ".  So that would seem to be easy and totally uncomplicated right?  or am I missing something here.
Photo of Shontay

Shontay

Sorry it is a Multi Text field

So to be clear, your question is this:

"I have a multi select text field with a choice of email addresses.  How can I set up a Notification to go to the email addresses selected.  The list is for choices of pure email addresses with no other extraneous information"
Photo of Shontay

Shontay

correct this field only contain email addresses

OK, so what you will do is to make say 10 formual email fields called [email 1]  [email 2] etc like this

var text EmailList = ToText([My Multi select email field]);

Trim(Part($EmailList, 1,";"))

The next one would be

var text EmailList = ToText([My Multi select email field]);

Trim(Part($EmailList, 2,";"))

Then make an open notification and list those 10 fields vertically for the recipients.
Photo of Shontay

Shontay

Thanks that is the direction I started but I used the right function, I will try using the trim
Photo of QuickbaseUser

QuickbaseUser

• 494 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi Shontay,

Are you able to set the formula email fields in the 'Notify Whom'.

I'm getting an error:
'[Requestor_Email1]' is not a recognized Quick Base user. '[Requestor_Email2]' is not a recognized Quick Base user.

Hope you can shed some light.

Thanks.

• 69,078 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Matthew already answered your question.  You need to put in a support ticket to Quick Base to ask them to enable your account to send external emails.
Photo of QuickbaseUser

QuickbaseUser

• 494 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Mark.
I'm able to sent email to external email. 
But this error is related to 'Notify Whom' field which is not accepting 'Formula Email' field.

• 69,078 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Make a new Notification of Type Open.  I suspect that yours is set to "Recipient".  That means only Quick Base users.

Then it will have a drop down for 
"a specific list of email addresses"

Then type in your list of field names vertically in square brackets. 
Photo of Owais Ashfaq

Owais Ashfaq

• 60 Points
Hi, I have a field [Email Address]. Even if I have an Open Type notification, and I type in the Email Address field in square brackets, it gives an error "[Email Address] not a recognized Quick Base user"

So are we able to use a quickbase field in the Open type notification, or do we have to manually type in actual email addresses?

Photo of Evan Martinez

Evan Martinez, Community Manager

• 11,898 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
This is a new issue, creating a new thread to help get it in the right place.

Please reference the new conversation here: Notification not allowing email address field (field not a recognized Quick Base ...

Try contacting support to enable the app to send to non users.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.