Showing data in other fields based on selection from dropdown list.

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered

I have two tables.  One has three fields, Name, Rep, Region.  The other table has no fields as of yet.  The two tables have a relationship with Name as the Reference Proxy and Rep and Region as Text(lookup) fields.  I simply am trying to create a form where I get a dropdown list in the Names field.  When I select a name I would like the Rep and Region fields to automatically populate with the corresponding data that is in the Names DB record.  I have been successful in getting the data to populate the Rep and Region fields but not with a dropdown list.  It has only been successful when you click the <browse> option.  I am hoping to get this working with a dropdown list.

Thanks

Brian

Photo of Brian

Brian

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 65,056 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
How many names are on the list to choose from?  if its more than 1,000 then you have to use the Browse method.  If it is less than 1,000 then it is likely that you have inadvertently set the Field Properties to use the record picker.  That forces browse and not the drop down list.
Photo of Brian

Brian

Yes it is more than a 1,000.  Rats!
Photo of Brian

Brian

Is there a way to simply let someone enter the name in free form text and have it populate the other fields automatically provided they entered the correct name?
Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 65,056 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
No.  Keep in mind you are really selecting a record ID# off a list.  The fields that you see are just helpful prompts for us humans to know which one to choose.  

But I betcha that there is some kind of Conditional dropdown you can use to pre-filter the list. For example if you set it up so the user first selects a Region, then only reps in that Region will be offered and it is likely that the # of records within that Region is less than 1,000. or maybe you have some other logical field to filter on first.

Here is some help on Conditional drop downs.

http://www.quickbase.com/user-assistance/Default.html#conditional_dropdowns.html
Photo of Brian

Brian

Thanks a bunch.