Want to create a report which should automatically fill is fields depending on the criteria specified.

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Answered
I have to create a grid-report or any report which will display pre-defined tasks that have been selected using conditions whenever we add a new record. This report should automatically link with the table in which we are displaying the report.
If there are other ways of doing this without the report than those suggestions are most welcome.
Thank You.
Photo of Azh7

Azh7

• 30 Points

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Xavier Fan

Xavier Fan, Champion

• 590 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Can you give a little more detail about the structure of your table, and what conditions you'd like to use to display the tasks in your report?

"Filters" in reports should be able to display records according to various conditions, but giving specific examples will help us understand what you're trying to do.
Photo of Azh7

Azh7

• 30 Points
I have 3 tables, table1,table2 and table3. i have one to many relationship between table2 and table3, so i have a report in table2 which uses the filters to display a set of related tasks from table3.
I am using this report in table1. So, now when i add a record in table1, i want it to display this report(which i am able to do) and when i click on save it should be saved in table2 related to the record in table1.
Photo of QuickBasePros_IDS

QuickBasePros_IDS, Champion

• 4,484 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
You might be needing the copy-parent-children wizard feature, but it is still unclear exactly what you are trying to "save" and "create" in which tables and whether you are displaying embedded reports in a Form Layout or regular table reports.  If you would like offline assistance, feel free to contact me using my profile.
Photo of Azh7

Azh7

• 30 Points
Hi, Xavier Fan, any more suggestions
Photo of Xavier Fan

Xavier Fan, Champion

It's still not clear to me what you're trying to do...

Can you give names to the 3 tables?

How is table1 related to table2 or table3?

From your description, sounds like:  table1 (one to many) table2 (one to many) table3

What record are you adding to table1?  What report are you showing on table1?  What record are you saving in table2 (related to table1)?
Photo of Azh7

Azh7

• 30 Points
I have a product table, task table and master task table. In my task table I have created a report(embedded report) which will display tasks from the master task table depending upon the filter that I have set. This report I am using in the form of the product table. So whenever I add a new record to the product table, product tables form will display this report and when I save the new record, I want these tasks to be added In the task table corresponding to the product table’s record #id. This is a repetitive process.
Photo of Xavier Fan

Xavier Fan, Champion

As Laura suggested, sounds like what you need is to use the "Copy Master & Detail Records" wizard.

The general idea is this:
1) Have a "template" Product record - with the related Tasks / Master Tasks that you need
2) Create a "Copy Tasks" button - which will copy the detail records from the template Product record, into your new Product that you're adding.

So first - create a Product - with the default tasks / master tasks exactly the way you'd want.

To use the "Copy Master & Detail Records" wizard:

1) Customize > Application > Management tab > Copy Master and Detail Records

2) Choose a table (the master records): Products

3) Choose what to copy
- Always import detail records from a specific Product - choose the template Product you created.
- Show Advanced Options - should be fine with leave the defaults (unless you want to change these):
a) Import detail records from all relationships
b) check Import all descendants of the detail records (details of details) - since it sounds like you have Tasks as well as Master Tasks

4) Name the button
- "Copy Default Tasks" (or whatever you want)

Hope this helps.
Photo of Azh7

Azh7

• 30 Points
I had already done that but it is not compatible with the workflow we have in place. The scenario is the same but the only difference is that i want to automate the process,i.e. the information will come from another software which will trigger several record creations, so i dont think i will be able to use the copy master & detail records wizard. But if i can please tell me how. Please tell me any other workaround also.
Photo of Xavier Fan

Xavier Fan, Champion

A couple of thoughts:

1)  The "Copy Master & Detail Records" wizard creates a Formula URL field - running a JavaScript functions.  If your other software can trigger record creations, can it also just run this JavaScript function?

2)  Similarly - if your other software is already creating new records - can you just it to also create the new Tasks/Master Tasks records for your new Product?
Photo of Azh7

Azh7

• 30 Points
I want to create a button, onclicking this button i want a particular set of records to be copied from one table to another table. And i am using javascipt to do this job. I am thinking of using API_DoQuery to get the record and than use API_AddRecord to add records to the other table. Am i going the right way or i am missing something.
Photo of Xavier Fan

Xavier Fan, Champion

That sounds like a good general approach.  If you need more than what the "Copy Master & Detail Records" wizard provides, then you should be able to do what you need through the API.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.