Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Bulk Record Sets in Pipelines

• 1.  Bulk Record Sets in Pipelines

Posted 12-06-2021 07:48
    I would like to build a pipeline using the Bulk Record feature. My scenario is similar to the example here https://help.quickbase.com/pipelines/about_bulk_record%20sets.html?Highlight=bulk. I am not clear on the "Make Request" Step. Wondering if I can get additional details or if there a video available on this feature? 

------------------------------
    Christine White

• 2.  RE: Bulk Record Sets in Pipelines

Posted 12-06-2021 08:23
    Can you explain what you are trying to do?  Maybe you don't need that step.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Bulk Record Sets in Pipelines

Posted 12-06-2021 08:34
    I have a "Project Tag" Parent Table allowing users to Group projects as needed.  I would like to create a new record in a Request table for each of these Child projects and thought I could use the Bulk Record set feature for this.

Christine White

• 4.  RE: Bulk Record Sets in Pipelines

Posted 12-06-2021 08:37
    Would this be running on a schedule or on a trigger?  If on a trigger and they are just getting added one by one then you don't need to use a bulk record set.

If the trigger is some mass operation line an import or a grid edit, then a bulk import would be better to use.  But I don't think you need to use the Make Request Step.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Bulk Record Sets in Pipelines

Posted 12-06-2021 08:42
    This is on a Trigger from the "Project Tag" table.  So thought the Bulk Record Set would essentially perform the "loop" function for me?  Never used it before.

Christine White

• 6.  RE: Bulk Record Sets in Pipelines

Posted 12-06-2021 09:07
    If the trigger is on a parent record and you want to trigger a search of  children and create records for each child record returned in the search then yes a bulk record upsert would be perfect for your needs.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Bulk Record Sets in Pipelines

Posted 12-06-2021 10:12
    Thanks!  Do you know how that "make request" step here is supposed to be set up? (This example is essentially what I am trying to create) https://help.quickbase.com/pipelines/about_bulk_record%20sets.html?Highlight=bulk

Christine White

• 8.  RE: Bulk Record Sets in Pipelines

Posted 12-06-2021 11:11
    That make request step is not necessary. I think they just confuse their example with a more complicated example of trying to do two things for each record found in the search. In your case it sounds like you want to trigger on a change in the parent record, create your bulk upsert box, do your search and then for each add a bulk record row and then the last step will be to commit the upsert.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Bulk Record Sets in Pipelines

Posted 12-06-2021 11:28
    That worked, yes "make request" wasn't needed.  Thanks so much

Christine White

• 10.  RE: Bulk Record Sets in Pipelines

Posted 05-24-2022 21:24
    Hi Mark.  Would this process be any different in reverse?  As in, the trigger is on a child record, and then I'd like to trigger a search of parent records, and then create records for each parent record *not* returned in the search.

My existing pipeline (not using bulk upsert) was flagged and shut down for excessive use today when bulk importing historical data.  Seems like I need to find a less intensive method.

Ken Hillyer
    I support people who cure cancer
    Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology Foundation
    Boston, MA

• 11.  RE: Bulk Record Sets in Pipelines

Posted 05-24-2022 22:22

I suggest that you make a field on the Parent  called [Parent Exists? With a formula of true. 

then lookup down to child. 

Then trigger pipeline on child created and [Parent Exists?] is no. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com