Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Merging two tables into one report

Posted 04-28-2020 00:32
    I was wondering if it is possible to have two tables, which have similarly purposed fields, be combined into one single flowing report?

Example:
    • I have a Jobs table which has a number of fields whose purpose are the following: Item, Price, Adjusted Price, Updated Price, Qty, and Final Price.
      • They may not be labeled those names exactly but the above names give the purpose of the field.
    • I have a Secondary Costs table which has a number of fields whose purpose are the following: Item, Price, Adjusted Price, Updated Price, Qty, and Final Price.
      • They may not be labeled those names exactly but the above names give the purpose of the field.

I already have a Many-to-Many relationship built with with Work Orders in the middle.
    Also, Jobs is already setup with Secondary Costs directly.

The relationships are as follow:
    Jobs > Work Orders < Secondary Costs
    Jobs < Secondary Costs

Currently I have a report builtin the Jobs table, placed in the Work Orders form to show all the jobs and associated prices of those jobs.
    I have a 2nd report in the Work Orders form, coming from the Secondary Costs table, to show all the secondary costs of associated with the work order.

The 2 reports are almost identical, as the columns show the purpose of the data.

Would it be possible to make one single report showing all the jobs and secondary costs, in the work orders form? It would look much cleaner.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Andrew
    andrew.fry25@gmail.com

• 2.  RE: Merging two tables into one report

Posted 04-28-2020 13:05
    Hi Andrew,

It is possible for your use case to build out a separate reporting table that would exist to one side of all your existing functional tables in this set of relationships and populate it with the similar data from Jobs and Secondary Costs. In this table you would make the list of consistent fields between the two tables. The only issue would be are you using your existing relationship to help you populate these reports to only show the related Jobs and Secondary Costs or is it just a list of all Jobs and all the Secondary Costs? Since it is two separate relationships you wouldn't have one consistent field to relate for using in a report link since your Jobs would be using Related Job and your Secondary Costs would be using Related Secondary Costs and a report link field that pulls in a report of related records has to be based on a matching field value like Record ID or unique Job Name, etc. Unless there is a consistent field that would be the same on every Job, Secondary Cost, and Work Order that you could use to tie them all together?

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quick Base

• 3.  RE: Merging two tables into one report

Posted 11-29-2022 01:04
    Evan,

I know this thread is old, could you elaborate on your solution?
    I have two tables that carry similar data each imported from a different source, but they both relate back to the same parents table. I'd like to create a reporting table that merges the data from the two functional tables. I set up a child table, pipeline to add or delete records to the child table whenever a parent record is added/deleted in either functional table, but that's pretty clunky. Do you have a more elegant solution?

Thanks!

Dave

David Revel

• 4.  RE: Merging two tables into one report

Posted 11-29-2022 09:06
    @David Revel
    If you post a new clean question with your own use case I will answer it.​

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com