Forum Discussion

ElenaLarrabee1
Qrew Captain
5 years ago

How to set up a child record to automatically select its parent?

Hi everyone! I've just started playing with a connected Quickbooks table. I'm trying to find a way to have the records in the Books table automatically select a parent record in my Jobs table. Each Books record has a Job Number field that should associate it with the proper Job record (each Job record has a unique Job Number), but I can't figure out how to create an automation that tells the Books record to "select the job with the matching 'Job Number' as the related Job for this record". I've tried to have it automatically write the Job Number to the Related Job field, but it just inputs some numbers and doesn't select the correct job. 

Any ideas? 

Thank you in advance!

- Elena

------------------------------
Elena Larrabee

6 Replies

• Hi Elena! 

In your relationship between the jobs and payments received table, is the reference field the Record ID instead of the actual Job Number? Even if you've set up the field to be a reference field and it shows the job number, the underlying data may be the Record ID. This is the only thing I can think of at this moment that might be the problem.

Anthony Gomez
      ElenaLarrabee1
      Qrew Captain
      Hi Anthony! It is. Do you know if there's a way to make the reference field the job number instead of the record ID without changing my key field in the parent table? I'm trying to avoid doing that if I can.

Elena Larrabee
        JulioGomez
        Qrew Member
        According to the user guide, Quick Base only uses the Key field, I have tested trying to make another field unique and required tp see if it would allow that to be used in the relationship however I was unsuccessful. 

Here's the link I found: https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/setting_the_key_field.html 

Sorry I can't be more helpful!

Anthony Gomez