Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Allow user named in one field to edit another field?

Posted 09-01-2022 13:39
    I'm pretty new to Quickbase, and trying to figure out how to manage a simple approval flow. Requests will need to be routed to multiple users for review and approval (with possible additional input/questions prior to giving their approval). I'm in the early stages of working out exactly how this will all work, but was wondering if there's a way to set specific fields/columns so that they can only be edited by the user named in a different field. 

For example - if I select the names of Approver 1 and Approver 2 (depending on approval type, etc), and have two fields/columns called 'Approver 1  Approval' and 'Approver 2 Approval' (or similar), is there a way to have the 'Approver 1 Approval' column restricted so that the only person who can edit that field is the person named in the 'Approver 1' column?

Also, if anyone can point me in the direction of a tutorial/guide that addresses a similar process, I'd be very grateful. So far I've had no luck finding what I'm looking for, despite a LOT of Googling.

------------------------------
    Michelle Lowry

• 2.  RE: Allow user named in one field to edit another field?

Posted 09-01-2022 14:05
    If the approver is a userid field type, either by a drop down of a down and dirty  user field (not recommended) or preferably a relationship to a table of Approvers, then the form will know the Userid of Approver 1. 

Then you can have a Form Rule.

When Multiple conditions
    ANY

The user is in the Role Admin
    The user is in the Role High Level A/P
    Approver 1 is the current user

Action
    Make editable [Approver1 Approval]

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com