Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Can Code Pages Reference Table Values?

• 1.  Can Code Pages Reference Table Values?

Posted 05-14-2023 02:36

I am exploring Code Pages, doing some general learning about them and what you can do with them.  I am wondering if Code Pages can display a value(s) from a specific table in the app based on a query formula or some kind of lookup value.  Can this be done?  If so, how?  

------------------------------
    James Carr

• 2.  RE: Can Code Pages Reference Table Values?

Posted 05-15-2023 10:00

Hello James,

Yes there is an App that has examples.  https://resources.quickbase.com/db/bq8kmgrcq/72b77352-3b9d-495e-932f-1cd9f1b15fa3

Jim Harrison
    transparency = knowledge + understanding : The Scrum Dudes

• 3.  RE: Can Code Pages Reference Table Values?

Posted 05-15-2023 12:41

Thank you. I will check it out and reply back accordingly.

James Carr

• 4.  RE: Can Code Pages Reference Table Values?

Posted 05-15-2023 12:58

Jim,

Might you be familiar with this app? This is a lot to take in and I don't fully understand what I am looking at. I have looked at a few buttons to get details but I don't see where another table within the app is being referenced to pull a value from.

James Carr

• 5.  RE: Can Code Pages Reference Table Values?

Posted 05-15-2023 13:50

Hi James,

Code pages are not low code pages. 

It helps to have a good knowledge of HTML, JavaScript, Quickbase in general and Quickbase API/formulas before going straight to writing code pages.

If you're hoping for little personal investment, I'd recommend finding a consultant who will walk you through how it functions or just do it for you.

From my perspective, everything is there and the examples are quite simple and clear. The Code page App takes time to learn. If you can become familiar with how it functions and the principals involved then anything is possible with Code pages.

Good luck,

Jim Harrison

• 6.  RE: Can Code Pages Reference Table Values?

Posted 05-15-2023 14:11

Hi Jim,

I know Code Pages aren't low code. When I say I don't know what I am looking at, I should say I don't know where to look for an example of values from a record in another table being referenced in order to show or do something. I see Java Script containing API calls but, so far, that's it. I will just continue toook through everything and see what I come across. Thanks, again.

James Carr

• 7.  RE: Can Code Pages Reference Table Values?

Posted 05-16-2023 09:14

James,
    Here are a couple of links that might be helpful in understanding how to use code pages:
    https://helpv2.quickbase.com/hc/en-us/articles/4570389110036
    https://community.quickbase.com/blogs/evan-martinez1/2021/07/09/alternatives-to-common-javascript-insertion-techni
    https://helpv2.quickbase.com/hc/en-us/articles/4418310927892
    Neil

Neil Schneider

• 8.  RE: Can Code Pages Reference Table Values?

Posted 05-16-2023 09:41

Thank you, Neil. I saw those links before. They didn't lead directly to my answer. I am still going to take time going through the example app Jim shared, and I found something else in the QuickBase Exchange to possibly look at.

James Carr

• 9.  RE: Can Code Pages Reference Table Values?

Posted 05-17-2023 14:31

i'm pretty sure you can. If you have it on your table via lookup or query formula, you can put that as a variable (in a formula url field) that will go into the url that the code page will pick up.

you can see it in action on this page

https://resources.quickbase.com/db/bq8meiyhh?a=dr&key=22

Tim D

• 10.  RE: Can Code Pages Reference Table Values?

Posted 05-17-2023 14:59

Thanks, Tim. Jim shared a link to that app already. Clearly, it's not something that's straight forward without having more coding knowledge so, I will spend time doing some more learning about HTML and Javascript. This app will be a good reference point, hopefully, as I learn more. 

James Carr

• 11.  RE: Can Code Pages Reference Table Values?

Posted 05-20-2023 23:19

I wanted to follow up and say that I have the foundation for what I am looking for. Jim and Neil, the links you gave were excellent resources but, being a novice to HTML and JavaScript, I still had to go to Google and YouTube for a little more. Tim, your answer was more like what I was looking for, except I see that you don't have to just pass an URL to the code page. You can pass other values as well.  I came up with a simple block of html to suit my needs, while I expand my knowledge for more capabilities. 

For anyone looking for an answer to this same question, I recommend searching for how to pass parameters with html or with javascript, as well as how to use parameters passed to your page (no need to specify quickbase code page in your search).  Google and YouTube were my friends for this. Then I referenced the links Jim and Neil posted to see if I could follow the code I saw as I learned what parts I needed for my own purposes. The examples on that resources quickbase app had more code than necessary for the type of solutions I needed.

Thank you, again, gentlemen. I appreciate your answers.

James Carr

• 12.  RE: Can Code Pages Reference Table Values?

Posted 05-23-2023 09:37

We done James!

Jim Harrison