Forum Discussion

TaraStroup
Qrew Member
2 years ago

Can I copy an app and have the pipelines copy?

Hello, 

We have one app that we use multiple instances of. Frequently we need a new copy for a new project. However the functionality highly depends on multiple pipelines. We only use pipelines to reference tables within the given database. Is there any way to copy the app and the pipelines? 

Thanks, 
Tara

------------------------------
Tara Stroup

5 Replies

AustinK
    Qrew Commander
    An issue with this would be the new app would have different references for each table. So even if you were able to copy the Pipeline it would not be pointed at the right app.

Is this one app that you use just like a template app that has the basics for each project where you then add various new tables and schema into the app that relate only to those projects? Or is the app not changed that much between projects?

The reason I ask is because in general I would have expected a Projects table that would hold all of your various projects with the information they need. Then you could have separate apps possibly depending on how the projects were categorized or even different tables to handle the various different tasks. If the projects are very different I could understand splitting them out but I would still personally want a jumping off point that housed all projects at least.
      MarkShnier__You
      Qrew #1 Challenger
      You can export what is called YAML.  That is essentially the code for the Pipeline and then edit it to adjust the table references.  Then Import the adjusted YAML to create a new Pipeline.

I don't have the training links handy for doing this though.

But I do echo Austin, that you may want to consider not duplicating apps  for new projects but make the app handle all projects.  Duplicate apps create much duplicate maintenance work.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        AustinK
        Qrew Commander
        I always forget about the YAML, that is a powerful tool to use for sure. I have only done that a few times but it makes sense in this case and would work I think.