Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Column width on report automatically expanding

Posted 08-01-2022 13:00
    As of this morning:
    When I open a table report, the column widths are automatically expanding?  I need my column widths to stay as I set them (narrow)..we do screen shots and don't want wide columns.  On a Mac desktop, using Chrome...
    Thank you

------------------------------
    BuildPro

• 2.  RE: Column width on report automatically expanding

Posted 08-01-2022 18:01
    Have noticed the exact same thing. Looking forward to explanation. We've changed nothing in the app. The column widths are just quite a bit wider for all users, even for fields not designated as "display without wrapping". Does not have anything to do with the contents of the cells/fields.

Same as OP, I'm using a Mac desktop and Chrome, but also noticed on a Windows desktop using Chrome.

Sam Cole

• 3.  RE: Column width on report automatically expanding

Posted 08-01-2022 18:23
    Sam. Does your realm begin with a b c or d?

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: Column width on report automatically expanding

Posted 08-01-2022 18:26
    It does begin with a 'C'.

Sam Cole

• 5.  RE: Column width on report automatically expanding

Posted 08-02-2022 07:53
    Edited by Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach) 08-02-2022 08:42
    On August 1 they started to roll out the new table report which is supposed to run faster.   They are doing the carefully starting with Realms beginning with A or B, or C, or D. It may not look any different on the outside but underneath it has completely different engineering. I can't really replicate your bug but it could be as simple as that when they rolled out a new engineering of the report they were not able to  retail your preferred column widths.  

If you fix the column widths to your liking by dragging them, do they stick?

I suggest though that you put in a care ticket because perhaps they can prevent this happening to realms further down in the alphabet.

mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: Column width on report automatically expanding

Posted 08-02-2022 09:48
    I do remember seeing that they were overhauling the new table reports. They do stick once I drag them, but:
    1) There seems to be a minimum width that's wider than it used to be.
    2) It does some strange truncating we didn't notice before.
    3) We have lot of reports across a lot of tables across 2 apps. So this is going to be a long process to have to resize every column.

I'll put in a care ticket to let them know. The new ones definitely load faster, so that's a good thing.

Sam Cole

• 7.  RE: Column width on report automatically expanding

Posted 08-02-2022 09:57
    Ok, we'd love to hear what support has to say,  they will be keenly interested in your feedback as that is exactly why they are rolling this out slowly, so they have time to react  to any issues.

mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 8.  RE: Column width on report automatically expanding

Posted 08-02-2022 15:28
    Response from technical support on this issue (I am a "C")

This is a side affect of the new performance enhancements our development team is rolling out for new table reports. There is not a way to do this natively with Quickbase at this time. While these new fixed column widths are currently considered an intentional change, we are always looking for ways to improve our platform and encourage feedback. If you want to voice your opinion on this subject then we encourage you to do so via the blue "Give feedback" button on the left edge of the "My apps" page. Our Product Management team reviews every piece of feedback offered, and that feedback weighs heavily on the future of Quick Base.

I hope this information has been helpful.  Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Christine White