Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Create static text in a multi line text field from a selection in a multiple choice field

• 1.  Create static text in a multi line text field from a selection in a multiple choice field

Posted 01-26-2023 18:44
      |   view attached
    I am hoping I can get suggestions on how to take a value from a multiple choice field and insert it on a multi-line text field, without it changing when the value changes in the multiple choice field.

I want to use a running call log. Each call has a type (multiple choice text). The type is selected and then call notes are entered in the multi line text field. Rather than adding a new call log record, I want to enter new call notes to the existing record, where the new call notes will be timestamped. I can put the Type in the field with the call notes, but what I run into is each time the type is changed the type on the previous call note changes. It needs to remain static so we can always see the category of previous calls. Short of automating this the best I can come up with is just to type in the call type at the beginning of each new call note. That can get inconsistent results.

------------------------------
    Barry Dolan

• 2.  RE: Create static text in a multi line text field from a selection in a multiple choice field

Posted 01-27-2023 08:03
    I suggest that you make a formula field which combines the Status with the call note.

then make a form rule

when the record is saved,
    and any 
    [Status] has changed
    [call note] has changed

ACTION
    change the value of [My Logged field with status and call note] to the value in the field [status and call note formula]

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Create static text in a multi line text field from a selection in a multiple choice field

Posted 01-27-2023 11:52
      |   view attached
    Thanks, Mark. This is more in line with what I'm looking for. I believe it will work if I can just figure out how to get rid of the HTML code. I have no clue why it's doing this.
    Please see example.

Barry Dolan

• 4.  RE: Create static text in a multi line text field from a selection in a multiple choice field

Posted 01-27-2023 12:03
    Is the call notes field a Rich Text field type?  That would cause the HTML.   Can you make it just a text field type?  Or multi line text field type?

mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Create static text in a multi line text field from a selection in a multiple choice field

Posted 01-27-2023 12:09
    It started as a rich text and I changed it, thinking it might be the issue. Maybe I should delete it and add a new field and see if that corrects it. 

Do you see anything wrong with the formula?
    [Communication Type] & ": " & [Call Notes]

Barry Dolan

• 6.  RE: Create static text in a multi line text field from a selection in a multiple choice field

Posted 01-27-2023 12:11
    Yes, try with a new clean field.  The formula is fine.

mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Create static text in a multi line text field from a selection in a multiple choice field

Posted 01-27-2023 12:17
    That didn't make a difference, still inserted the HTML code.

Barry Dolan

• 8.  RE: Create static text in a multi line text field from a selection in a multiple choice field

Posted 01-27-2023 12:50
    I just did a test and it works for me.  Contact me directly by the email in my signature line and I'll be happy to have a quick look.

mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Create static text in a multi line text field from a selection in a multiple choice field

Posted 01-27-2023 08:20
    Barry,

Here is a different solution that does not use the Multi Choice Text or the appended notes field.

If you use a child table you get a lot more control and better reporting.  Your users will add a Call Log record where they select the Call Type from the parent table.   That will look the same to them.   Then they type in the notes in a dedicated field and click save.

You then display the results on the Customer record as an Embedded report.  If the user interface needs to closely resemble the old note you can build a formula text field in the Call Log  Table that looks something like:

[Create Date]& [Record Owner]&[Call Type]&[Note]

You will be much happier when management asks you for a report on how many calls last month were made by each person of the type Sale.   You will have the data which is not true of an appended notes field.

Don Larson

• 10.  RE: Create static text in a multi line text field from a selection in a multiple choice field

Posted 01-27-2023 10:56
    Thanks, Don, but the scenario you described doesn't fit our purpose. We actually have it set up that way now to some degree, where we can report on Type. But these changes are coming from the owner and what he wants to do when he's getting ready to meet with the client, he wants to quickly review all call logs for that client without having to open up each call log entry. But having only one call log entry and adding new call notes with each call, he can just scroll through all the notes to see all the history of calls for that customer.

Barry Dolan