Forum Discussion

LB
Qrew Trainee
2 years ago

creating a pipeline

Hello, 

I've followed the various tutorials for creating pipelines, but none seem to fit my needed scenario. 

I need a record to move to another table if a field contains a certain selection, and then after that record is moved to the new table I need it to delete from the previously located table. 

And - if someone needed to go back and change the record field to move it back to the previous table and delete it again from that table. 

Scenario 1) Status is changed > move to the closed records table> Delete the record from the open records table

Scenario 2) Status is changed > move the record from the closed records table to the open records table > delete the record from the closed records.

------------------------------
Lorrie B

31 Replies

MarkShnier__You
    Qrew #1 Challenger
    Just a comment.  Consider not moving records at all. Just flag the records with a status and use reports and possibly permission to control access.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      LB
      Qrew Trainee
      Hi Mark, 

Thanks for replying. I had thought of using reports as the control, but there is a unique ID required so the record in the table will need to be reflected as a new entry with the same ID needing to be used for the newly entered record; while still maintaining the previous record. This info also connects to relationships in 2 other tables that will also need to pull that info over as well. 
      I've tried various ways to think it through a pipeline but can't configure a solution.

Lorrie B
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew #1 Challenger
        A pipeline should definitely be able to do this, in either direction.  Can you explain where you are getting confused in the Pipeline setup?

mark.shnier@gmail.com
    MeredithMoore5
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    I 100000% agree with you Lorrie. There is not enough education or documentation out there for the real world application of Pipelines. Pretty much, if it isn't already a channel, you need a computer science degree to figure it out.

I'm sure there is someone out there who needs to hook directly up to SurveyMonkey or whatever, but that happens 0% of the time in my world. 

This simple action is a great example of the problems that pipelines needs to be able to EASILY solve. The fact that you could do this with a few clicks in automations seems to entirely elude the QB dev team, who are all dead-set on not just "not supporting" automations, but entirely disabling them THIS JANUARY!!! (WTF?!?)

I use pipelines every day, and know how to work them, but there is a place for everything, and automations handles the sort of task you are asking about with ease. There is a place for everything, and automations have a place that Pipelines just can't handle, and vice versa. 

I am mad as hell at the direction of the QB leadership. They need to start listening to their users again.

Meredith Moore
      LB
      Qrew Trainee
      I miss the automation feature so much :( and this has been a struggle trying to figure this out on my own and I'm pretty tech-savvy...

Lorrie B
  • Hi Lorrie,
    You will need to different Pipelines, but they will be basically mirror images of each other.

You will want to start with a On New Event Trigger, and set it up for when the status changes to Closed/Open depending on the table that is triggering the event. You'll want to select all of the fields that you're going to need to transfer.

Then you use a Create Record, and then drag and drop the fields from step A into the corresponding fields in Step B. 

Then you use a Delete Record, and select the record from Step A(Trigger).

I hope that this helps

John Crosland
      LB
      Qrew Trainee
      Hi John, 

Thanks for replying, I've figured out what you have mentioned so far - now the issue is the fields that have a relationship don't move with the record because I can add them to the specified field group. It only shows the add button label and not the field.

Lorrie B
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew #1 Challenger
        @Lorrie B  Did you specify in the trigger record step that you will need to use those fields later on down the pipeline? ​

mark.shnier@gmail.com