Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  DO I NEED TO USE AN API FOR THIS?

Posted 05-30-2023 08:57

We want to have our customers click on a payment link that takes them to the payment system we use to process the payment. I want to send them the Record ID and the Total Due.... How in the world do I do that? thank you!

------------------------------
    Heather Donaldson

• 2.  RE: DO I NEED TO USE AN API FOR THIS?

Posted 05-30-2023 09:08

Heather:

Is the payment system a Quick Base app? 
    Does the payment system have an API? 

You want to send them the Record ID and Total Due - via email? 

Is the "record id" and "total due" derived from a Quick Base App? 

Pipelines might work - it would be easier if your Payment system had an existing "channel" in Pipelines - check on that. 

Are you customers logging in to your Quick Base app is it anonymous? 

Providing more information would help better minds than mine point you in the right direction. 

joe vandervest

• 3.  RE: DO I NEED TO USE AN API FOR THIS?

Posted 05-30-2023 09:33

Hi! No the payment system is another company - a payment processing center. They're handling all the payments for us. The players use an entry form in Quickbase to enter the events, then they need to pay for the events. I was thinking of having them click "pay" or whatever, and it takes them to the payment processing center (via their link?) and then pass through the Record ID and the Total due from Quickbase to them.

I don't know if a restful API is right, or a URL is right, I'm not sure. So any ideas and any help is appreciated.

Heather Donaldson

• 4.  RE: DO I NEED TO USE AN API FOR THIS?

Posted 05-30-2023 10:24

I have their dev team on the phone, and they can give me the API integration line of code in javascript so I can push through amount and name, but where/how do I set that up on my side? 

Heather Donaldson

• 5.  RE: DO I NEED TO USE AN API FOR THIS?

Posted 05-30-2023 11:28

What are they providing you with exactly?

If they are giving you a endpoint to send an HTTP Request to, then you can do this a pipeline pretty easily.

If they intend for you to execute some javascript code,  you'll need to use a code page which is a little tricky.

Jeff Peterson

• 6.  RE: DO I NEED TO USE AN API FOR THIS?

Posted 05-30-2023 11:46

Hi Jeff! they gave me both ways actually.

they gave me the HTTP request - which they said the customer would need to type in the amount they're supposed pay...could I set up the pipeline to do that?

Are you able to walk me through the pipeline option?

Heather Donaldson

• 7.  RE: DO I NEED TO USE AN API FOR THIS?

Posted 05-30-2023 12:01

Well,  to get you started,  you'll want a pipeline that is similar to this:

A. Quickbase Record Updated   (This would be your trigger action,  probably triggered when your customer clicks the 'pay' button and it updates the record with the amount they entered)

B. Make Request  (found under the webhooks channel - You would access the value for the payment from step A.)

C. Quickbase Update Record (use this to write the response back to your quickbase record)

Jeff Peterson

• 8.  RE: DO I NEED TO USE AN API FOR THIS?

Posted 05-30-2023 15:49

That doesn't seem like that's what I need, but I appreciate your response.

What I mean to say is - When a person enters their events in Quickbase, they will then click "pay now" which would take them to the payment processing website (outside of QuickBase) where they need to finish the payment.

I have their API info, an API key, I have the POST information - I just cant seem to figure out how to put it all together to make it work.

Heather Donaldson

• 9.  RE: DO I NEED TO USE AN API FOR THIS?

Posted 05-30-2023 16:18

Maybe think about using an action button. Find and Load the template project - Magic Buttons to see what you can do with URL fields or even more action buttons - not sure if I can post off-site links, but Sharon at Quickbase Junkies has a free action button toolbox cheat sheet that might help - https://www.quickbasejunkie.com/action-button-toolbox

I would probably take the lazy approach....

--Create a Pay Now check box on a form. 
    --Create a PIPLINE trigger that looks for a record change conditional on change to the paynow box. 
    --When the box is checked, fire off a customized web request to the pay system with the payload you want.
    --Check for a pipeline channel that exists for your pay service.  If they don't have one you have to write your own web request. 
    -- You can use pipelines for a custom webrequest - but you will need to study the pay system's API needs, structure, and deal with their format and authentication requirements. 

-- Don't forget that you can also most likely get response code that you might be able to FEED data back to the table and record where they hit the pay box. 

I use Zapier and Pipelines together sometimes when Pipelines just doesn't seem to fit the bill. Web request from Pipelines to Zapier with the payload. Then use a Zapier channel to access a zillion different apps. 

Check if Zapier by chance supports your payment system.  It can save you lots of time since Zapier can sense updated records inside Quick Base tables too. 

NOTE: If you are moving credit card info around, you need to be certain of security impacts, risks, PCI/DSS concerns, etc. ALL far outside my scope. 

joe vandervest