Forum Discussion

SolaceSonder1
Qrew Member
2 years ago

How to pre-populate a grid add

We have a series of labs panels composed of a series of lab tests that are put in the exact same way every time. I have a join table with patient and lab information. 

Patient X Lab A Test 1 
Patient X Lab A Test 2

The ideal flow would be for a user to select the patient and the lab panel they want to add, and a grid edit/add would open with that patient, lab and test values already populated (in this case there would be two rows in the grid add, like the above mini table). Is this possible in QB?

Again, we can script it, but the organization is non technical so trying to look for native ways as much as possible.

------------------------------
Solace Sonder

2 Replies

MarkShnier__You
    Qrew #1 Challenger
    You can use a Pipeline to create the child records but the user experience will not be wonderful as it may take I suppose about 10 seconds for the Pipeline to complete.  The user would need to refresh the page to see the children.

There is a way to provide a URL formula button to bring in the required child records and redisplay the Parent record in Edit Mode (ie so that the children can be in Grid Edit mode), bit the steps to do that are a bit too involved for me to lay out this Forum.   Basically we would use the SaveBeforeNavigating syntax to save the parent record (I think in your case it would be the Lab panel record), grab the [Record ID#] and set a User Focus and then import the correct children and land the user in Edit mode.  It would probably take an hour or two of consulting time to get that working with you.  Contact me via the email in my signature line if you want to explore that options or else we can help you with a Pipeline here.  That "User Focus" technique is useful to learn as it is all native with no script coding.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      SolaceSonder1
      Qrew Member
      Thanks Mark. I sent you an email. Would definitely be interested in learning this technique.

Solace Sonder