Forum Discussion

DavidSemitekol
Qrew Trainee
10 months ago

How to use the ToUser function

Does anyone know how the ToUser function works?  The QB help isn't very helpful.  I have a field in my table with first and last names.  I would like to match those to a user list so that I can create filtered reports based on the logged in user.  I created a ToUser formula field and entered a formula:

ToUser([Broker Name])

While QB is not reporting any error in the formula, it is also not reporting anything in the field.

Is the only way to filter a report based on the user is to create a User field?  What to does the User Formula field accomplish?

Thanks.

------------------------------
David Semitekol

2 Replies

• The help for all he Quickbase functions is here. Good to bookmark it.  There is also built in help in the formula builder box.

https://login.quickbase.com/db/6ewwzuuj?a=q&qid=1000132

The ToUser is explained here

https://login.quickbase.com/db/6ewwzuuj?a=dr&rid=178&rl=esm

It will not work on a regular name like John Smith, but it would work on an email address as those are unique.  That is to say that there can only be one user with a given email to address but there could be lots of people in this world that have the name John Smith .

You're saying you wanted to match this to something. Does your other table have an email address in it?

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

DavidSemitekol
      Qrew Trainee

Thanks Mark, you actually gave me an idea that solved my problem.  My original table of names did not have emails so I created a new field and only entered the email address to those that I know are users in my app.  I was then able to modify my original formula to match on email address which brought me to my goal of being able to filter reports based on the logged in user.

David Semitekol