Forum Discussion

LaszloM
Qrew Trainee
2 years ago

I experience hour long delays in refresh for formula-user fields dependent of freshly provisioned users!

Hi All!

New users happen to come to my app in form of email address list. Some emails are already users of my app, some are not, UserToEmail function makes the distinguishing. Now for emails not yet users I use API_ProvisionUser to establish a new user in the appropriate role, also I would like to immediately assign the new usersto their tasks. I mean users as established QB users, not just any text labels! To this end I decide if the email address is a user with this formula checkbox:
If(ToText(ToUser([Technician Email]))="",false, true)
Problem is when my pipeline finishes provisioning the new users, nothing seems to happen to my checkbox, in fact it takes hours to react!!! Funny thing is that after provisioning the new users immediately appear in the user list and are also available in the user pickers. Just the depending user-formulae are lazy as hell. However I tried to set the report caching the problem still persists!
Questions:
- am I missing here something, doing something wrongly?
- anybody has similar experience with user functions?
...if all this is real: any ideas to solve this delay problem or have a workaround would make me happy!

Thank You!

------------------------------
Laszlo M

3 Replies

MarkShnier__You
    Qrew #1 Challenger
    I believe I vaguely recall hearing about this issue that there is about an hour delay for new email addresses  but I'm afraid I can't point you to an article about that. I don't know of any work around other than patience.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
    AustinK
    Qrew Commander
    To go off what Mark said, when you change an email it will give you a warning that it can take up to an hour for it to cascade down through everything and have formulas recognize the new email. This is likely the exact same thing happening to you when provisioning new users based on what you have said. I think your only choice here may be to wait that hour or less that it takes.

Is there any way you could change the time you are provisioning new users? Set them up a day or few hours ahead of time and then make them active to be picked in your dropdown after time has passed? I think something like that may be the only way to go about it but may not work for you.

I think if you are automating this with a Pipeline it may be possible to just split this into 2 of them. Have one provision the user and have the next run an hour later to assign tasks, something to that effect.
      LaszloM
      Qrew Trainee

Thank You for sharing your experience here Mark and Austin!

I think I can live with this, just needed a confirmation of this happening to others as well, so I may not be the only one...

Austin, this is exactly what I am doing, thank you for the idea!

Thx!

Laszlo M