Forum Discussion

JimHarrison
Qrew Champion
6 months ago

October Qrew Meetup Notes

We had another successful Portland, OR Qrew meetup this month. Lee, Jen, Brianna, Ralph and myself attended. This month's meeting was a collaborative session and to that effort we had Rich Text button problems to solve.

First Jen wanted to use Grid Edit in a child report on a form and have the grid edit save the edits before navigating to another page. The problem when this is done, is the parent form has no changes and therefore the Rich Text button "class='savebeforenavigating' doesn't save the changes to the child records.

The solution is to add a form rule to the parent form that enters the date/time into a field onload and now there is a change. Once there is a change to the parent form, the savebeforenavigating class is called and the child records are saved. Jen was happy with the results and so we moved on to the next problem. 

Next Lee wanted to display images as icon/buttons from a parent table but couldn't get the image link to work properly. We resolved the problem by adjusting the syntax of the Rich Text field and then went into explaining some of the syntax of Quickbase formula language and how it is separated from Rich Text HTML. We had solved two problems and it was getting close to the 2 hour mark so we called an end to this months meeting. 

Afterwards we headed over to Izakaya Kichinto for some snacks and a drink or two.

Next month we are looking for a presentation. Lee mentioned AI and I think there may be some interest in learning more about how it can be used with Quickbase. 

Thank you again to everyone for attending. The meeting was successful as we worked together to learn and solve problems, which is always fun.

------------------------------
Jim Harrison
transparency = knowledge + understanding : The Scrum Dudes

2 Replies

ben_simon
    Community Manager

Awesome write up Jim! Great to see this Qrew solving problems together! Please let me and Lee know how we can best support you with the AI presentation request. I think it's a great topic to cover.

Ben Simon
    bsimon@quickbase.com

Do you have Feedback on how to make Qrew Discussions a better experience? Let's chat!
    https://calendly.com/bsimon-2
      JimHarrison
      Qrew Champion

Hi Ben,

Appreciate the offer of support. If you know of someone who has been playing around with the technology, ask them if they have anything to share. If there is more than one person, a group is fine and could stir ideas and conversation. I know the timing may be close to the holiday, we have Teams and can accommodate remote presentations. My only caveat is we arrange a pre-meetup test run, to verify everything works. Usually takes about 15 minutes and reduces the amount of live meeting problems that tend to happen without a dress rehearsal. 

Lee mentioned he has one person in mind so maybe you two can chat and give us some additional options. As always if anyone in the Portland Qrew has something to present please let me know. Show us an improvement you made or something you learned. The opportunity to present is always a good skill to practice. 

Jim Harrison

Portland, OR

Jim Harrison
      transparency = knowledge + understanding : The Scrum Dudes