Forum Discussion

MichaelTamoush
Qrew Captain
2 years ago

Plot Gallons used when records only have total gallons

Here is my setup:

I have a table of Events. Each Event has a date, and a reading of total gallons used.

I want to plot on a chart the number of gallons used since the previous reading. Thus, I am trying to make a field that shows the reading from the prior date, and then use formulas to just do the math and subtract. If I can also get the actual prior date, then I can use duration to find the number of days since the prior reading. More math will give me a gallons per day average, which is the ultimate goal.

I tried Ranking using formula queries, and then more queries to get my info. Unfortunately, I have too many records and get the 'this query will take too long and screw everything up' warning.

Any other ideas on how to get a gallons per day, when the data set I have are records with dates, and total gallons?

------------------------------
Michael Tamoush

2 Replies

MarkShnier__You
    Qrew #1 Challenger
    Is there only one kind of tank that you're tracking or does this app have a whole bunch of different tanks.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MichaelTamoush
      Qrew Captain
      There are a few hundred properties, each with their own water treatment system. They are tracking the flow (amount of gallons) through each treatment system.

My current lne of thinking is a summary field to each treatment system, which combined texts all the info i need, then i re-split it apart and use a combination of Part + If statements looking at each part. I think this will work but is a ludicrously long formula, though a repeating formula. Maybe 50 lines so not the worst. I cant think of another way. It's too bad because this is exactly what a query would be perfect for.

Michael Tamoush