Forum Discussion

ChristineKirk
Qrew Trainee
12 months ago

Pulling a field from a proxy field from a distant table

Hello,
I have a few functions that I'm manually completing today but know there has to be a way to automate this in QB. We have the following tables, that are all related:

Counties
Hospitals (which all belong to a County)
Consultations (which take place at a Hospital, and by default in that Hospital's County)

At the County table, I'd like to easily see all the consults that have taken place. The only way I've been able to do that is have the Consult pull the "Hospital County" and then we manually then fill in the "Consultation County" through a direct relationship.

I'm new to formulas, etc., but there are several similar instances where I'd love to just automate this in some fashion. Form rules isn't helping because it's not giving me the options to have it spit out the value of "Hospital Counties" into "Consult County" field.

Thanks!!

------------------------------
Christine Kirk

3 Replies

• So One Country has many Hospitals
    One Hospital has many Consultations.

Do you just want the Country form have an embedded report of the grandchildren Consultations?

If so, simply create a field of type Report Link  and configure the Left side of the field properties to be the County  and on the right side search for your app, (watch out for a pop up blocker) and then the field in Consultaitons that has the Country name.

Put that Report Link field on the County form and set the form properties to show the records directly on the form.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      ChristineKirk
      Qrew Trainee

Amazing!!!! I was hoping to continue to pull a chart report. Is that possible via this method? It was nice to see the data month-over-month. Thank you!!

Christine Kirk
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew #1 Challenger

Once you choose to show the grandchildren record on the form, you can let it default to the default record picker fields or you may create any report (typically an unfiltered report, since the Report Link field itself will filter just the correct grandchildren records for the county), so that report can be basically any Report Type, so yes a chart is just fine or a Summary report is also a common choice.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com