Forum Discussion

DavidTindall
Qrew Member
2 years ago

Reorder Fields within Table

Is there anyway to reorder fields within a existing table? Or do they I have delete the fields, a  new field in right location, and the re add previous fields?

------------------------------
David Tindall

3 Replies

MarkShnier__You
    Qrew #1 Challenger

There is not a way  to change the Field ID# and you should let go of that thought. 

I suggest considering a naming convention for your fields do they can be sorted alpha by clicking the column heading. 

For example

Qty on order

Qty in backorder

Qty in stock

as opposed to 

on order qty 

backorder qty

in stock qty

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

DavidTindall
      Qrew Member

Honestly, I am surprised by this response. It's rude and very hard with all the typos. I guess I will "let go of that thought" that I would receive a professional response.

Thanks,

David Tindall

UT Southwestern

Medical Center

The future of medicine, today.

MarkShnier__You
        Qrew #1 Challenger

Sorry if that came across as rude. I was typing on an iPhone from a place with poor internet connection as I'm currently traveling.  I did circle back after my post and correct the typos. 

The Field IDs are not changeable as they are used by QuickBase as the "real" identifiers of the fields. If you were go down a path of deleting and recreating fields just to get the fields to sequence nicely, you would have to then go into field usage and correct all the references in formulas and reports to use the new field instead. 

Many of us here have apps with hundreds of fields, so we just treat that field ID as the sequence the field was created in.  In fact reverse sorting on field ID is a handy way to find your recently created fields when working to build new formulas. 

So that's why I suggested using a naming convention to get the fields to sort nicely when you click the column heading for the field name, as an alternative to trying to perfectly plan your fields out to be created in Field ID sequence. 

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com