Forum Discussion

BeckyHeineman
Qrew Member
2 years ago

Save and Return to Parent Record

Hi All - newb here and I'm having trouble with something simple. 
Our app is used to pass requests around our team. We have a Notes table (child) where all of the detailed communications go that attach to the Requests table (parent). I'm trying to create a button when someone completes a Note record, it save and return them to the Request record they were adding the note to so they can continue editing (if necessary) the Requests record.

it seems it would need to be a var text URLONE / URLTWO situation but I'm a bit at a loss after that. Any assist would be much appreciated!

------------------------------
Becky

2 Replies

MarkShnier__You
    Qrew #1 Challenger
    Becky, the native Add Child button will do that  for you.  Maybe you made a change to that button and took away that functionality.

Here's is what the typical button code looks like

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_TIME_RECORDS] & "?a=API_GenAddRecordForm&_fid_11=" & URLEncode ([Record ID#])
    & "&z=" & Rurl()

That last part in bold is what makes it return to the parent record.  There are  fancier ways to do this if you have a special situation but the native behaviour should do what you want.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      BeckyHeineman
      Qrew Member
      Thanks Mark, I'll give it a go!  We haven't changed any of the Save & Close button functionality that I'm aware of, but it's possible. We just have some child tables that when the new record is saved and closed return the user back to the child table report instead of the parent record. This should help that!

Becky