Forum Discussion

JoeAlderson
Qrew Member
12 months ago

Trigger an Automation without human input

Hello,

I am struggling to find a way to trigger an action without human input. The app we have has Compliance work Records and each of these has a number of tasks associated with it. So a record to complete a tax return may have a task where we have sent the return to the client for approval but we are waiting for the client to respond.

In our previous software we had tasks that went overdue and on going overdue they could trigger certain actions as required. So in this scenario the tasks would go overdue, complete themselves, send an email to the client reminding them we are awaiting approval and pop in a new task along the lines of Awaiting Approval, Client Chased for example and remove the old task.

Currently I have the following Action:

Which works perfectly, aside from the fact, it only triggers when someone actually goes into the task and changes something. I need a way for this to trigger without someone going in and updating the record?

At present each task has a number of days associated to itself before it goes overdue, some tasks will go overdue and remain there, just overdue, other tasks that go overdue will have Task List ID in the "Next Task When Overdue" field, which corresponds to whichever new task is supposed to be created when the current one goes overdue.

I was wondering if there was a way to schedule a pipeline or something to run overnight, which could update a field in every task with todays date for example, and that would then trigger the Action? Or maybe someone has another solution to this issue?

It is frustrating the formuals cannot trigger Actions and Pipelines, but I've maanged to work around that so far. Just stumped with this, tried a few things over the last week or so and I think I need someone with more knowledge than I have currently.

------------------------------
Joe Alderson

4 Replies

• I suggest that you have a scheduled pipeline which would run every night that would look for overdue records, and then set a date time field to the current date time thus giving you a trigger for your pipeline.

By doing it that way you could choose to  run the pipeline essentially manually by updating that date time field manually or with a Formula URL button but also the scheduled pipeline can trigger it as well.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      JoeAlderson
      Qrew Member

That sounds promising, I've not got a lot of expeirence with scheduled pipelines, would a Bulk Record Upsert be the way to go with this? Or is that the wrong direction?

Joe Alderson
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew #1 Challenger

If you are looking to trigger emails, then I would just do a Search and then a For Each Loop to update the records.  That would trigger individual mails.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com