Forum Discussion

AndreaJohannes
Qrew Trainee
2 years ago

using a list-user field to filter a report

Howdy,

I posted recently about a budget app I am working on.  I have Areas. Areas have many accounts. Each account can have many categories. Each Area/Account/Category combination can have many expenses.  I also have budget administrators.  These budget administrators can have more than one area that they are responsible for.  I've got the conditional drop downs working so that when a specific area is chosen, based on that area there is a specific list of accounts and based on the area/account combo chosen, there is a specific list of categories to which expenses can be added.

Where I am stuck is that I want my budget administrators to only be able to see and/or edit/add expenses to those areas that they have been "assigned" to.  It was suggested that I use a list - user field, which I have done on the area table. The area and the admin flow as a lookup to the Account table and then on down to the Category table as a look up. 

When I created the report for the home page and then tested as a user, the report didn't bring in any of the areas and I could see all of the accounts regardless of area. I'm not sure if it's an issue with how I'm creating the filter on the report maybe?  I've tried many variations and just can't seem to get it to work.
I've attached a picture of the filter, how I'm grouping the report, as well as the result I'm getting when I go to the home page and test as a specific user. (When I just run the report as a specific user, I get no results).

I thought about basing the report off of the expense table -- but that report will only show me areas/accounts/categories where there is already an expense.  I need the report to show all accounts, even if there is no expense yet, so I can add an add expense button. This will make it so that the admin will only see their accounts and when they click "add expense", the correct area will already be populated and kick off the cascading dropdowns for account and category.

Thanks for your help and guidance!

------------------------------
Andrea Johannes
Associate Director
Texas A&M University

3 Replies

• Morning Andrea!

Can you confirm a few things:
    1. You are testing as a different user using the "test this app as.." option, not setting the filter on the report to a specific user?
    2. Do you have any role permissions configured that would contradict your filters?
    3. I would also try switching your "Area Admins" filter to "contains" versus "is equal to".

Marguerite Keating
    Quickbase Developer
    Synctivate Inc
    marguerite@synctivate.com
      MarkShnier__You
      Qrew #1 Challenger
      Is their a filter option to say "includes" the current user?

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        AndreaJohannes
        Qrew Trainee
        Hi Mark, yes, it does have a filter option for includes current user. I've tried that as well and run into the same issues as I do when using the "is equal to" filter. When I use includes, all areas accounts and categories show up when I test as a specific user.

Andrea

Andrea Johannes