Forum Discussion

JeffSykier
Qrew Member
4 months ago

Notification Button

Does anyone have any experience with creating a button that will trigger a notification.  

I'm not sure what to do in the rich text field that will change a status that will be pick up by the notification to be sent. 

------------------------------
Jeff Sykier

1 Reply

• Hey @Jeff Sykier -- Admittedly not heavily experienced in doing this sort of thing, but like you, interested in learning this technique, and have seen it implemented in different ways before. You'll likely want to add a Formula-URL type field to the form for the button part, but the formula for generating a URL that includes the notification trigger logic in Quickbase would depend on your specific use-case and how you might have the notifications on the table configured.

I'm no formula guru -- so turned to ChatGPT to see if I could garner some insight quickly -- but have not tested. Worth trying:

Here's a generic example using the `URLRoot()` and `URLRootToPath()` functions:

var text URL = URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_YOUR_TABLE] &
                    "?a=API_EditRecord" &
                    "&rid=" & URLEncode([Record ID#]) &
                    "&_fid_YourField=" & URLEncode("Notification Trigger Value");

$URL

Replace `YOUR_TABLE`, `Record ID#`, `YourField`, and `"Notification Trigger Value"` with the appropriate values for your scenario. This example assumes that you want to trigger a notification when clicking the button.

I suspect your approach to change a status that would then be picked up by a notification you have configured on the table to be triggered would be something similar:

To create a button that changes a status in Quickbase, you can use a formula that constructs a URL with the necessary parameters for updating a record. Here's a generic example ChatGPT provided me with that appears like it could do the trick:

var text URL = URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_YOUR_TABLE] &
                    "?a=API_EditRecord" &
                    "&rid=" & URLEncode([Record ID#]) &
                    "&_fid_StatusField=" & URLEncode("New Status");

$URL

Replace `YOUR_TABLE`, `Record ID#`, `StatusField`, and `"New Status"` with the appropriate values for your scenario. This example assumes that you want to change the status field to a value of "New Status" when clicking the button.

I also looked into the Quickbase Exchange Beta and the 'Checkbox Toggle Button' might be something to explore or consider as far as getting a notification triggered.

Hope this helps!

Sage Hiller