Forum Discussion

ChristopherBins
Qrew Member
3 years ago

Using HTML and javascript to display information

Hello, 
I was selected to design a quickbase for my team.  The only thing it is required to do is track certain data points on contacts the team receives.  Anything beyond that is at my discretion, but it seems like the more it can do the more likely the team is to actually use it.  One of the things I want to implement is to provide subject matter experts and helpful information for resolving an issue that would depend on what type of problem is reported. 

My first test on accomplishing this resulted in a coding page that uses a js function to display text based on an HTML dropdown selection and then links to the coding page on the homepages for the different roles.  However, I can already see that trying to hardcode the text the way I have it now will not be user friendly when any changes need to be made.  It also seems like it is going to be difficult to impossible to get the text returned from the function to properly display on multiple lines when that is needed.  

I'm still hunting around for other solutions but wanted to ask the community for any suggestions.  Right now, we have the information in an excel spreadsheet so I am going to try out uploading it as a new table in the quickbase and see if I can pull or display from that somehow.   

Thank you

3 Replies

• Quickbase is intended to be a low code - no code platform.  Just that we dumb this way way down?

Can you say in plain words what you were trying to do and we can probably just do it without any fancy code, just native Native Quickbase.

------------------------------
    Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      ChristopherBins
      Qrew Member

I want the user to be able to select an option in a dropdown.  Once the option is selected I would like the home page to display information based on their selection. 

I can't give specifics examples due to there being internal only information, so I'll try to use soccer as an analogy.  I would want the user to be able to select a soccer team using a dropdown.  Once selected, the quickbase would display the manager of the team, the owner of the team, and some interesting facts about the team.  Seeing all that information would be a secondary purpose for the quickbase.  The primary purpose would be for the user to be able to enter information about a contact with a person who is a fan of the team.  

MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        So this is easy.  You will have a table called Teams info about the Teams.
        Then you will have a Table for Fan Registrations.

Set up a Relationship where One Team has many Fan Registrations.   Look up all the fields you like down to Fan Registrations, such as Team Name, Owner, and fact 1, fact 2, fact, 3.

In field Properties for [Related Team] set the Proxy field to be Team Name.  Put Team name on the form along with all the lookup fields.

So user enters a record, and as soon as they select Team "Real Madrid" form the drop down list,  they will see all the lookup fields on the form.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com