Forum Discussion

MarkShnier__You
Qrew Champion
6 months ago

2D Bar Code Scanning Hardware Discussion

I have a mature app which relies heavily on scanning 2D bar codes to do Location updates on physical inventory items. One Inventory Item has Many Location Updates.

The items all have a 2D Bar code on their label which essentially puts up an Add Location Update form up on the screen.  The user then does a "save" manually.

Currently we use regular smartphones to do the scanning (in fact just the personal smartphones of the field technicians) as it was a cheap way to get started, but with growth in volumes we are looking for a better solution.

I'm looking to connect either via this forum or one to one with users who have experience with say a bluetooth scanner hooked up to an iPad.  I found this on Amazon as an example.

TEEMI 2D Wireless Barcode Scanner with USB Cradle for iPad iPhone Android Devices and Tablets, Support QR, PDF417, Data Matrix, Read barcodes on Screen

Amazon remove preview
TEEMI 2D Wireless Barcode Scanner with USB Cradle for iPad iPhone Android Devices and Tablets, Support QR, PDF417, Data Matrix, Read barcodes on Screen
This TMSL-55 scanner with its cradle is a updated version for TMSL-50. It is a wireless 2D barcode scanner which is compatible with Bluetooth function and can work with Apple iOS, Android, Window PC/tablets. This cradle works as a data receiver and charging base as well. This scanner with base is...

I'm also wondering if there are scanners which can add extra tabs and "enters" after the scan automatically.  There are times where the operator gets into a repetitive cycle and needs to be able to quickly scan and then click "Save", so I'm trying to eliminate the need to click on save on the iPad.

------------------------------
Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
mark.shnier@gmail.com

3 Replies

• Hi Mark.

I have worked with bar readers that have a whole application in which you can configure the behavior after reading, send key commands (enter, space, tab, shift, etc.), make time delays, just look at the specifications that it be a "programmable" reader.

Marcelo Benavides
      MarkShnier__You
      Qrew Champion

Most helpful. Do you happen to have an example of a Brand & Model number? 

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        MarceloBenavide
        Qrew Cadet

Not really, I did this a couple of years ago in my country of origin, but if 7 years ago this technology allowed these actions, I am sure that today you will find more and better options. Look for one that has scheduling options and scanning enhancements.

Marcelo Benavides