Forum Discussion

Jan-WillemSpeck
Qrew Assistant Captain
5 years ago

Additional info connected to ADDRESS FIELD

Hi there,

I'm building an app in which i will create a table for all global locations (about 5000)
I like to use the address field for this purpose.
We cannot add fields inside the  ADDRESS field itself

However I would like to add automatically more country (and perhaps even city) specific information into my tables using the location's address field details.

For example I was thinking to create a table COUNTRYDETAILS that contains info like the TLD codes, The international telephone access code, The currency, A contact person, A selected provider, electrical power socket model, emergency telephone numbers  etc etc..

So when I'm looking at a form with details for a site in Germany I can also see that that the TLD-code is DE, i need to dial +43, their currency is EURO, that Germany has 230V and power socket model 'SHUKO',  etc etc.

Eventually I also like to pass and use this info further into the app in a purchase process where it will help to auto pre-select the correct currency and the correct country provider and present the applicable purchase items for a location center in that country (or city).

Thanks for your suggestions,

Jan-Willem

------------------------------
Jan-Willem Jan-Willem

2 Replies

• No problem.

when you create an Address field and look at its field properties, you will see that this is a special field which has sub fields  which are individually accessible in formulas and lookups. 

Soi I suggest you create a new field called [Country] with a formula of

[Address: Country]

T hen set up a table of Countries and set the Key Field of that table to be the Country field.  add an other Fields there such as voltage and country dialing codes. 

Then set up a relationship  where 1Country has many Locations and use that [Country] formula field as the reference field on the right side of the relationship. Look up the Country extra fields. 

Repeat  for City. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com
      Jan-WillemSpeck
      Qrew Assistant Captain

Thanks,

I knew (or expected) you would have a quick answer ��

I was 80% there but missed to set the key-field in the country table.

That was the joining link I was looking for.

Works like a charm now

Jan-Willem

The information contained in this e-mail (including any attachments) is intended only for the personal
      and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If you are not an intended recipient of this message,
      please notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete the message and any copies from
      your system. Any use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this message by unintended
      recipients, is not authorised and may be unlawful.

------Original Message------

No problem.

when you create an Address field and look at its field properties, you will see that this is a special field which has sub fields  which are individually accessible in formulas and lookups. 

Soi I suggest you create a new field called [Country] with a formula of

[Address: Country]

T hen set up a table of Countries and set the Key Field of that table to be the Country field.  add an other Fields there such as voltage and country dialing codes. 

Then set up a relationship  where 1Country has many Locations and use that [Country] formula field as the reference field on the right side of the relationship. Look up the Country extra fields. 

Repeat  for City. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      Quick Base Solution Provider
      Your Quick Base Coach
      http://QuickBaseCoach.com
      markshnier2@gmail.com