Forum Discussion

MikeTamoush
Qrew Commander
3 years ago

Any new ways to deal with costs and revenue tables?

I have a table of costs, and a table of revenue. At this point I have a summary table of months, with a 'key' in both revenue and costs tables, to look at everything on a monthly basis.

With the introduction of dashboards, summary formulas in reports, formula queries, etc, is there a better way to do this now? I still think i need a summary table to accomplish this, but am wondering if this is still true?

Ultimately, I am trying to look at gross margin and other items which involve formulas between costs and revenue.

------------------------------
Mike Tamoush

8 Replies

• Are these tables related?  Or what do they have in common?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MikeTamoush
      Qrew Commander
      Projects. I can relate them all to a project summary table and pull costs and revenue per project there. I thought about using that table, but what I can't figure out is - I will have multiple dates. The date the revenue is recorded and the date the cost is recorded. This may be in different months. So if I use the project summary table, I don't think I can look at Gross margin per month?

It feels to me like I will still need to utilize a monthly summary table to look at costs/revenue per month, and a project summary table to view per project.

In the same way, I feel like I would also need a yearly summary table to view per year.

But I also keep thinking that all these new tools were supposed to help me avoid these summary tables...

Mike Tamoush
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        But the fundamental problem is that if you have a mismatch on timing between revenue and cost recognition then you can't really know what the margin is in a particular month because for example a month maybe all cost and no revenue. And opposite for the next month. So really arguably the margin really only makes sense on a project to date basis.  Even if you go annually then you can still have the problem that there is a stub of a cost or a revenue recognition mismatch during that.  Of course the same problem can happen even on a project today basis if you have not got around to billing Revenue yet.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com