Forum Discussion

TonyGonzalez
Qrew Trainee
3 months ago

App Category Limitations

I just figured out how to enter App "Categories".  Problem is, I seem to have run into a limit.  I was trying to create a category for each department.  Seems as if I can only create 7 categories.  Is that accurate?

------------------------------
Gonzo - A Newbie, but learning fast. (Former SmartSheet evangelist who is quickly converting to QuickBase)
IT Director City of New Braunfels

5 Replies

• I'm assuming it is a limit, but also if you need to have more than 7 app categories, its possible you have too many apps. How many apps do you have? There is a delicate balance between 'more apps because it keeps it organized' and 'too many apps and you spend all your time managing permissions and users in a million apps'. In my opinion, minimize your number of apps as much as possible.

Mike Tamoush
      MarkShnier__You
      Qrew Champion

Personally, I have never been a fan of Categories.  For starters, I think they are specific by user and not globally applied to your users.  Secondly apps drop off that My Apps page if they have not been accesses by each individual users in the last 30 days.

An alternative to consider is to set up a connected Sync table of your app.s. Yes, that is a source for a Sync table.

Then provide a link via the Branding options at the top right, (some plans allow enterprise wide consistent branding) or else users can search on you app called say App Directory.

Then you can make a dashboard to that app which gives the users buttons to lost apps by department, with links so the app,  The Sync gives the app id, so you can make a hyperlink with a link to the app.  .  You would add fields to the sync table to code the departments.

Then subscribe to a report of uncategorized apps so you remember to code the new ones.  Include hooks to hide from the directory for apps not yet launched or app copies or development apps not meant for users to access.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        TonyGonzalez
        Qrew Trainee

Oh wow.  What a solution. It actually sounds better than just the categories.  A database of our database apps.  Sounds funny, but that's how i interpret your reply, Mark.  

Mike, I appreciate the input.  But, I am likely to have a couple hundred apps in QB by the time this is over.  I hope I can make many of them just a table or two in the interest of ease of administration.  But, we have a ton of process that are digital, so they have to be moved.  That's what QB offers me and a big reason for our migration to this platform.  Business needs will dictate how many apps we have and I just can't get around that fact.  

Gonzo - A Newbie, but learning fast. (Former SmartSheet evangelist who is quickly converting to QuickBase)
        IT Director City of New Braunfels