Forum Discussion

LeslieG
Qrew Cadet
8 years ago

Broken Knowledge Base link: Use a URL Formula to link from one form to another within the same table

I need the documentation that used to live here: http://www.quickbase.com/developer/knowledge-base/how-can-i-create-formula-url-button-which-opens-sp... (Link is broken!) I have a preliminary form  on my Accounts table called "Add New Account". This form only has one multiple-choice field, "What type of account is this?" Based upon the selection, I want to send the user to one of three different forms in the same Accounts table.

4 Replies

• Assuming your users are adding a new record with these three alternative Forms I would recommend that instead of making them choose from a selection box, you simply create three buttons to launch the correct Form.

Button 1 (goes to Form ID 10 - or whatever the Form ID# is of the form you want them to be using)

URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=GenNewRecord&dfid=10"

Button 2 (goes to Form ID 11 - or whatever the Form ID# is of the form you want them to be using)

URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=GenNewRecord&dfid=11"

Button 3 (goes to Form ID 12 - or whatever the Form ID# is of the form you want them to be using)

URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=GenNewRecord&dfid=12"

You can then label each button by the "type" of account they are creating; and you won't run into QuickBase asking the User if they want to "save the record first".

The downside I would comment on with this "method" of creating records with different Forms is how you will handle viewing of these records once they are saved.  For example, each Role can have a default Add, Edit, View Form.  But only 1 form can be used in Edit and 1 Form in View.  You cannot without custom formula-buttons allow a user to use the standard Edit/View icons and expect the "correct" version of the Form to load.  You would have to either have the user manually launch the correct Form from inside the record; and then each time they save it will revert back to the default form; or you would have to hide the view/edit icons from main reports and use a custom formula-button in your reports to direct them to the right forms.  This is not very helpful to the Users building their own reports.

You will still need, in my view, a single-form which has all the fields in the Form that could apply to all three versions of the records; and simply hide/show the fields based on the record type.

Remember, however, that you can only put data-entry fields once on a Form, and you cannot "remove" the Edit link unless you only allow users to add record, but not change them.

It is important to remember that once the data is saved how your users will navigate to the records and view the data they entered is just as important as how they get it there in the first place.
      LeslieG
      Qrew Cadet
      Thanks for this! I initially thought that making one form with hide/show rules would become to complex, but it sounds like that's the way to go.
      LauraThacker
      Qrew Captain
      That would be my expert recommendation.  If you get stuck with your rules, contact me offline.
  • In case anyone else encountered a similar problem, for the last day and a half knowledge base articles had an element near the top of their page displaying an error message. The content was still there, but you had to scroll to see it. I was caught by the same thing :)

As of this afternoon, our engineers were able to correct the issue causing this problem and all knowledge base articles are back in working shape.