Forum Discussion

DianeSinawi1
Qrew Member
3 years ago

Child Reference field not pulling Parent key

The reference field in my child table should populate with the parent table key field, but instead its pulling in data from a different random field from the parent table form.

Parent table has a form to log corporate threats/risks. Within each threat record, is an embedded report of incidents (from child table) with ability to add incidents. Each threat can have multiple incidents. Related Threat field (reference field) in child table should populate with Record ID# from parent record, but instead is populating with value from Responsible Department field in parent table.

Setup is below. Any help greatly appreciated. NOTE: I'm a Quickbase newbie and have no programming experience. Thank you!

child report within parent record:

Add new child record:

From parent record:

Report field settings within parent table:

Related threat field settings in child table:

------------------------------
Diane Sinawi

4 Replies

• Can you post the code for Add Child Button and also what is the Field ID of the Related Threat field.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      DianeSinawi1
      Qrew Member
      Hi Mark, thank you for your help

Related Threat field ID is 23

Diane Sinawi
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        I think I know what is going on. I suggest that you check the set up in advance settings for the parent table and make sure that the record picker fields are appropriate. The first and perhaps only field you need for the record picker would be the threat.  My guess is that the record picker may have the department as the field which is being offered to the user to help them choose a threat.

The other thing you want to do in that relationship in the first screenshot is to do a look up of the name of the threat. Edit the field for related threat and set a proxy field for that field to be the name of the threat. I think if you do both those things everything will make sense.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com