Forum Discussion

MichaelTamoush
Qrew Captain
4 years ago

Conditional Read Only in Grid Edit

I don't believe this functionality is possible, but this community comes up with a lot of sneaky work-arounds...

I have a form with a dynamic rule that makes some fields read only, based off another selection. This of course doesn't work in grid edit mode. Has anyone come up with a sneaky way around this? (My use case, the grid edit where users can get around this is in a report link)

I'm thinking perhaps I can have two report links, one that shows editable fields, and one that either shows formula fields (or I can make a grid edit form with read only fields), and then use a dynamic form rule to hide the appropriate report link.

I think that should work, but wondering if there are other creative solutions.

------------------------------
Mike Tamoush

2 Replies

• I often find myself making Mirror fields which are simply formula equivalents of data entry fields, in order to put them on a grid edit embedded report on a form and thus prevent data entry into those fields.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MichaelTamoush
      Qrew Captain
      Yeah I will probably make mirror fields, however the trick is I WANT them to be able to grid edit, up until a certain condition is met, and then I want those same fields locked.  Since I can't dynamically choose what columns to show in a report link, I am thinking I need two report links - one that includes editable fields, and one that includes the mirrors. Then use dynamic rules to show the appropriate report link.

I was hoping there was some trick in making a grid edit form and using dynamic form rules there, but I don't believe that works. Wasn't sure if there were more solutions I was overlooking.

Mike Tamoush