Forum Discussion

JenniferJuhasz
Qrew Trainee
9 months ago

Convert a 'text' email address field to 'Email' format

Hi - 

Is there a 'ToEmail' function of some form?  I have a list of email addresses, but it's the Key field from a sync'd table (not editable) and it's 'text' format.  I want to create a formula email field where it looks at the key field and converts it to a more usable 'email' format. 

Is this possible?

Thanks folks!!

------------------------------
Jennifer Juhasz
FamilySmart
BC, Canada

4 Replies

• You can simply change the field type in your sync table to Email without affecting the sync. The setting to make it text is just defaulted but you're able to change it without affecting the sync. 

Chayce Duncan
      JenniferJuhasz
      Qrew Trainee

Hi - unfortunately, that's not possible. That's what I first thought to do.  On realizing that's not possible, I thought I would create a secondary field that 'equals' this first one, but IS an email-formatted field.

I thought maybe I could switch out the 'key' field and then switch it back, but I don't want to muck about with all of the linked tables too much - my team is really happy with how this build is going, and this is a relatively minor need.
      Thanks in advance for any thoughts or recommendations!

Jennifer Juhasz
      FamilySmart
      BC, Canada
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion

I think that Chayce's solution would have worked on any field that was not the key field, so thank you Chayce.  Did not know that.  Meanwhile just create a formula email field

[my email field in text format]

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com
      JenniferJuhasz
      Qrew Trainee

Update - this was far easier to resolve than I thought.  Feeling rather a bit embarrassed - the solution was so simple it escaped me! LOL - I just created a new formula Email field and entered the field name as the formula.  That's it.  Sorry to waste a bit of bandwidth here!

Jennifer Juhasz
      FamilySmart
      BC, Canada