Forum Discussion

PaulEaston
Qrew Assistant Captain
7 months ago

Create Table Relationship from Existing Values

I have a "definitions" table and a "citations" table.

One citation can be related to many definitions. 

The data for both was populated by importing from a spreadsheets.

The Definition table has a "Citation" field with a short version of the citation. 

The Citations table has an "ID" field that provides the same format used as the Citation field in the Definition table. 

I would like to relate the Definitions to the citations by matching the Citation field in the Definition table to the ID field in the Citations table. 

I can't figure out how to do this using a Table‑to-Table relationship.  

Is there a fairly simple solution that will enable me to do this in QuickBase? Or am I going to have to manipulate in Excel with vlookups to associate a citation record ID with each definition record and do an update import?

------------------------------
Paul Easton

2 Replies

• If the Citations are 'unique' by the ID value - then you will need to reset the key field of that table to make ID your key field. Then - when you setup your relationship you will want to make sure that when you get to the step where Quickbase suggests making the 'related citation' field in the dropdown - you instead find the value of the Citation field in your definitions so that QB will automatically link up the ID to the Citation in your child table as the foreign key. 

Chayce Duncan
      PaulEaston
      Qrew Assistant Captain

That did the trick, thanks!

Paul Easton