Forum Discussion

WadeMyers
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Designating Reference Proxy Fields

I've been working to mimic some functionality of another application inside my somewhat larger application. I wasn't able to see the data I was looking for, and saw that the field i'm trying to mimic is a reference proxy.

I looked up the instructions found here: Designating reference proxy fields
Quickbase remove preview
Designating reference proxy fields
Once you've created a table-to-table relationship, you may find that the reference field doesn't show the information you want. For example, when you display a record or report, the field may show the Record ID#. You may want to show more meaningful information, such as project name or company.
View this on Quickbase >

The problem is, the instructions clearly says "n the Reference field options section, click the Proxy field drop-down and select the field you want.", but when I look at the field properties, it does not have "Reference Field options". Do I just need to delete the field and recreate it, or am I missing something?

------------------------------
Wade Myers

1 Reply

•  In a relationship, the reference field is the field showing on the screen in the top right of the relationship. That is called the reference field. In many cases the key field of the parent table is the record ID which is not a meaningful number to be exposed to users.
    So what we do is to look up the field which best represents the parent record. Sometimes it already exists such as customer name, and sometimes you might even wanna make a formula field to best represent parent record for human users.
    Once you have that identifucation Field looked up in the relationship, Can you go back and edit the reference field at the top right of the relationship and select that look up field to be the proxy. Then on all forms and reports you only use the proxy field and it will behave properly and avoid the user being exposed to the meaningless record ID of the parent record

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com