Forum Discussion

TonyGonzalez
Qrew Trainee
3 months ago

Director notification via email

What is the best way to set this up?  QB Notifications, or Outlook Channel?

We have a customer sat survey.  Would like to, based on department chosen by submitter, send an email to that director.  In QB notifications, it looks like I have to create a notification for each department.  I was hoping to create one, where i referenced the email address of the Director in that other table.  

Would Outlook Channel give me this capability, without having to create a separate rule for each Director?

Some other way?

------------------------------
Gonzo - A Newbie, but learning fast. (Former SmartSheet evangelist who is quickly converting to QuickBase)
IT Director City of New Braunfels

5 Replies

• In fact you can put a field into the email who box. Just carefully hand type it in square brackets.   Like 

[Director email]

So you just need one Notification 

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      ChayceDuncan
      Qrew Captain

In addition to Mark's point - the decision of Outlook versus Notification is personal preference. QB notifications by default come from notify@quickbase.com which depending on company can get treated as spam. You can set them up to come from a 'proxy user' where it looks like it comes from another email but it's still sending it. 

Outlook would be better if you wanted to specifically send from an outlook inbox where you can see that it was sent in the sent folder, and if you wanted to include attachments. 

Chayce Duncan
        TonyGonzalez
        Qrew Trainee

Outstanding info, from both of you.  I will consider the Outlook pipeline part of my Phase 2 for this project.  Phase 1 is just getting QB to work the way we need it and to migrate existing apps from SmartSheet.  Phase 2 can be the refining, which is exactly what the Outlook channel can provide.  Now to go and understand the how to of Mark's post...

Gonzo - A Newbie, but learning fast. (Former SmartSheet evangelist who is quickly converting to QuickBase)
      TonyGonzalez
      Qrew Trainee

Mark,

I must be looking in the wrong place.  The "Notify Whom" field is a drop down and I can't type in it.  

TonyGonzalez
        Qrew Trainee

Nevermind.  I wasn't looking deep enough.  I see now that I had to choose "A specific list of users..."  Then I get that option.  Now to figure out how to pull that field to the related survey.