Forum Discussion

AidonOlligschla
Qrew Cadet
4 months ago

Dynamic-Displaying Button in One Field

Hello All,

Wondering if anyone knows how to get creative here - I'd like a dynamic button within a singular column (field) of a report.  This way, depending on the conditions, the button changes based on the next predicted behavior.  Here's my situation:

• If the parent record does not have a related child record, display blue "Request Change" button.
  • If the parent record does have a related child record, display green "Edit Request" button.

I understand this would be easy to accomplish by using two separate button fields, but the idea is to keep it clean and predictable.  Any ideas?  Picture for reference...

------------------------------
Aidon Olligschlager |
Flight Operations Technical Support
Pentastar Aviation
Waterford MI
aolligschlager@pentastaraviation.com | 248-202-9587

7 Replies

• Make sure that it's a formula rich-text field and then the following will get you set: 

var text url = configure what you want the button to do with if statements here;

var text button = "<a href='" & $url & "' class='Vibrant SaveBeforeNavigating' style='background: " & if( //insert if condition here to color the button ) & "'>" & if(//insert condition for what you want the button label to be) & "</a>"

Chayce Duncan
      AidonOlligschla
      Qrew Cadet

Good Morning Chayce,

Here's what I've put together so far and I'm getting an error of "a variable declaration must end with a semi-colon."

var text url = If([Any Requests] = null,

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_REQUESTED_CHANGES] & "?a=API_GenAddRecordForm&_fid_10=" & URLEncode ([QB Unique Field])& "&z=" & Rurl(),    //if no requests already, add request

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_REQUESTED_CHANGES] & "?a=s&query={%2710%27.TV.%27" & URLEncode([QB Unique Field]) & "%27}&opts=disprec" & "&apptoken=xxxx" & "&z=" & Rurl()      //if already a request, edit request

);    //if no requests already, add request

var text button = "<a href='" & $url & "' class='Vibrant SaveBeforeNavigating' style='background: " & if([Any Requests] = null, "#81c6e3") & "'>" & if([Any Requests] = null, "REQUEST CHANGE") & "</a>"

Aidon Olligschlager |
      Pentastar Aviation
      Waterford MI
        ChayceDuncan
        Qrew Captain

It looks like you're not closing out the variable button and actually declaring it. See if this works: 

var text url = If([Any Requests] = null,

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_REQUESTED_CHANGES] & "?a=API_GenAddRecordForm&_fid_10=" & URLEncode ([QB Unique Field])& "&z=" & Rurl(),    //if no requests already, add request

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_REQUESTED_CHANGES] & "?a=s&query={%2710%27.TV.%27" & URLEncode([QB Unique Field]) & "%27}&opts=disprec" & "&apptoken=xxxx" & "&z=" & Rurl()      //if already a request, edit request

);    //if no requests already, add request

var text button = "<a href='" & $url & "' class='Vibrant SaveBeforeNavigating' style='background: " & if([Any Requests] = null, "#81c6e3") & "'>" & if([Any Requests] = null, "REQUEST CHANGE") & "</a>";

$button

Chayce Duncan
    AlexWilkinson
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    Aidon,

Here's an example of how I handle similar needs for "conditioned" buttons - one which take various actions and have various wording or styling depending on other fields on the record.

In this example, the user will be able to add a contact where the record has data about a new person (e.g., a new, unrecognized email) and about an organization whose web-domain is either know to the app or not known. Accordingly, the button displays on a report either as "Add Person to KNOWN Organization" or "Add Person to NEW Organization".

The button uses a URL computed as a var in portions of the formula field not shown in the screenshot above. It also uses custom styling that is defined in app-wide variables (the three "[customButton...]" variables. This is a convenience to make it easier to standarding the app's buttons without constant cut-and-paste.

Alex Wilkinson

Alex

AidonOlligschla
      Qrew Cadet

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your insight.  I've been getting into the magic URL buttons recently and it's amazing how you can reduce workflows down to a single click.  Looking forward to using these more.

Best,

Aidon Olligschlager |
      Pentastar Aviation
      Waterford MI