5 months ago

Embedded Grid Edit Report help

Table A

• ·         field - Task (text)
  • ·         field - Job Number (text)
  • ·         field – Active (checkbox)
  • ·         and a field called Task_Job Number which is the Key

Table B

• ·         field called Job Number (a lookup field from another table)

Table C

• ·         child table of A and B
  • ·         lookup field from Table B to get the Job Number
  • ·         lookup field from Table A to get the Job Number
  • ·         has a conditional dropdown field
  • o   show Tasks (from table A) that matches the Job Number from Table B

the conditional dropdown works fine, it only shows tasks that are for the specific job number, however, I'd like to further narrow this down to only Active tasks from Table A. On Table C Form, the dropdown is narrowed down by using a report that only shows Active Tasks as a dropdown. How can I mimic that same functionality on the embedded grid edit report on Table B as well? Currently, the grid edit only follows the conditional dropdown.

I've tried using formula fields to use as the conditional dropdown but it keeps telling me that I have to select a Job Number first even though it should already be there since it is a lookup field. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? (also making sure that the fields were visible in the form just in case that would cause an issue)

Hopefully, this all makes sense. I'm still learning how this particular app was made.

------------------------------
Tim D

6 Replies

• I don't know if you were using legacy forms or new style forms

For legacy forms,  while it may seem counterintuitive you can create a dummy form which I typically call. Grid Edit Form. That form will never be used at as a form, but it can be specified to be used to control the behavior of the grid edit iembedded report. You just list the fields down the form that you want is columns in the grid, edit and you can include features like limiting a drop-down to just status active. Then you specify that form to be used in grid, edit by using the Forums usage section of the forms set up.

I have no idea whether new style forms support that functionality, but  Perhaps you can give it a try and report back. In order to test it on legacy forms. If you happen to just be using new forms, you can create a dummy legacy form and get the grid working there as we expect based on what I have said above.  Then once that's working, you can try it on new style forms.   

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      TimD
      Qrew Trainee

Mark,

are you talking about using the form that uses report dropdown (filters out inactive tasks) as the grid edit form? We're already doing this but it is not limiting the dropdown options on grid edit

Tim D
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion

Are you using New forms or Legacy Forms?

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com